• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Barrow A.F.C. v Exeter City Matchday Thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
highlights? Post match interview?:ROFLMAO:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I just have to respond to that "Matty will come good again" comment Geoff. I've always felt that Jay was never quite good enough to be playing in the Football League, let alone playing for us. Nothing over the past couple of seasons has lead me to conclude differently, and I dont altogether see what some fans think of him. He's lightweight, soft in the tackle, not technically all that good, and he loses the ball far too easily. WTF Taylor has bestowed the captaincy on him for, I do not know. He certainly doesnt seem to act the part, or lead by example. I certainly dont see him as an integral part of a team making a promotion challenge; that said, from what I've seen, we'll be nowhere near those dizzy heights this season.
A few duff games when he doesn't look fully fit and it doesn't take long for the knockers to start appearing. Clearly the fans who voted MJ player of the season think he's good enough to play in the football league as do his team-mates who voted him players' players of the season and his manager who said he was by far our best player last season. And, just for good measure I assume the players from other clubs who voted him into the PFA team of the season also think he's good enough to be playing in the football league.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
I do love our interviews. The manager and all the players speak with such respect, are clear in their messages and honest about our strengths and weaknesses. It sounds to me like it was a good point against a tough team in terrible weather conditions (very strong wind), so I’m happy with a point and looking forward to beating Joey Barton on Saturday. Geddon ciddee.

fred binneys head

Interesting that the interviews talk about a brilliant off the line clearance from Alex and it’s not in the highlights, but some useless Barrow crosses that sailed out of play are! Tisdale out.

i8cornwall

I think the idea was that he would lead by example, with his team mates having him as a reference point for their performances.
Ah think we have cracked the reasons behind our poor start....

fred binneys head

Must admit, I don’t like the decision to make MJ captain. I’ve never been a fan of the ‘lead by example’ type of captain personally. Every player should be leading by example. A good captain should be someone who rallies the group when they need it, gives discreet one to one advice when players need it, has a high emotional intelligence, is willing to give tough love when necessary, etc. I haven’t seen any of that from MJ and the explanation of why he was picked as captain started with how he is an inspiration to other players because of the journey he’s been on at the club. I am looking forward to being proved wrong on this one.

StudentGrecian

Interesting that the interviews talk about a brilliant off the line clearance from Alex and it’s not in the highlights, but some useless Barrow crosses that sailed out of play are! Tisdale out.
Alex had a brilliant game but I wouldn't big up the clearance as much as the media team, guess it shows how poor the game was for talking points.
Good positioning allowed him to intercept a tame chip over Dawson's head that was slowly heading in, but I'd expect him to deal with it 9 times out of 10 to be honest. He is starting to look the real deal though, after a shaky start to his professional career, he is definitely the first name on the teamsheet in that backline.

tonykellowfan

My view of that match is as follows. Dawson in goal did not look very good. Not much composure, stuck to his line most of the time only time he ran out he nearly gave a goal away. The back 3 of Sweeney-Ray-Hartridge played very well under the circumstances, Sweeney was MOM for me. Wing backs of Key and Caprice (switched to LWB) did very little both looked like below average L2 players. CM of Dieng and Kite, Dieng is class but had to be taken off as on yellow and heading for red. Kite was good in parts and you can't really judge someone on their first league start in those conditions. However I did think he looked a bit slow at times and got caught in possession quite a bit in the second half. Jay in the hole behind the front 2 was anonymous, the few times he had the ball in space or running at the defence there was no end product. The front 2 of Armond and Brown both looked good and gave as much as they could with the scraps they fed off. For me the line up was 3-4-1-2 and it simply did not work.

hardi2b

Thank you Sea Grecian I appreciate the response (y).
Highlight "reel" was naff (as expected from previous thread comments).
Hartridge interview was more insightful than Taylors' summary .....

Grecian Max

Absolute load of old tosh, there are many ways to be a leader, you don't just have to shout and cajole. I think the idea was that he would lead by example, with his team mates having him as a reference point for their performances.
😂 that’s going well then