• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Automobiles : Good,Bad & the Ugly.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
A very strong market for good quality used cars at the moment I’ve noticed.As good a barometer as any that the economy is picking up.
The second hand market is going through the roof at the moment, I'm at Inverness Airport waiting for a flight to Gatwick, Then train to Eastleigh after delivering a 14 plate Peugeot 207 convertible up here from Southampton, 10 hr drive and the company has made money on it taking into account of the cost of getting up here, I've picked up 3 cars in the last week where the seller has only had them a few months but sold them because they've made money on them, Just normal second hand cars, Nothing special, One of them cleared his finance and made 2.5k selling.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

The second hand market is going through the roof at the moment, I'm at Inverness Airport waiting for a flight to Gatwick, Then train to Eastleigh after delivering a 14 plate Peugeot 207 convertible up here from Southampton, 10 hr drive and the company has made money on it taking into account of the cost of getting up here, I've picked up 3 cars in the last week where the seller has only had them a few months but sold them because they've made money on them, Just normal second hand cars, Nothing special, One of them cleared his finance and made 2.5k selling.
Indeed. One of my business contacts told me earlier in the week that his son who is a fairly junior salesman for a second hand car dealer made over £6,000 in commission last month.

DB9

Indeed. One of my business contacts told me earlier in the week that his son who is a fairly junior salesman for a second hand car dealer made over £6,000 in commission last month.
Not sure how long it will last but make money while you can, This dealership is selling 200 cars per month!

Oldsmobile-88

I enquired about trading in my car about 6 months ago against a new model,but was not too impressed with the trade in price(no expense is spared on my car maintenance,one appears to get the ‘book price’ irrespective)
The dealership has been back in contact recently & offered 35% more than the original figure offered !

DB9

I enquired about trading in my car about 6 months ago against a new model,but was not too impressed with the trade in price(no expense is spared on my car maintenance,one appears to get the ‘book price’ irrespective)
The dealership has been back in contact recently & offered 35% more than the original figure offered !
Its really a weird situation Olds, Cars, especially second hand, The values always drop but at the moment they are going up, This is the only explanation i can think of as to why i drove 10 hrs from Easteigh to Inverness, A flight back to Gatwick then train home, Plus my time (18.5 hrs) in wages, fuel, to deliver a 2014 Peugeot 207 convertable, In normal times it just wouldn't be worth it.

Mr Jinx

Its really a weird situation Olds, Cars, especially second hand, The values always drop but at the moment they are going up, This is the only explanation i can think of as to why i drove 10 hrs from Easteigh to Inverness, A flight back to Gatwick then train home, Plus my time (18.5 hrs) in wages, fuel, to deliver a 2014 Peugeot 207 convertable, In normal times it just wouldn't be worth it.
Aye, it's bonkers.

I was looking to buy a 3 year old car, which were going for around the £11-13k mark 18 months ago. Similar are now going for £15-17k.

Simple economics. Supply/demand. ie reduced former, increased latter. Will now be keeping our 13 year old car for another year. Hope it holds out.

DB9

Just been on the Matthewson's (Bangers n Cash) website and looking at their latest auction lots, Lots of lovely classics and various memorbillia, There is a Mk2 Ford Lotus Cortina which has been restored to a beautiful standard, Guide price of £30k-£32k, I think it might go higher.

Oldsmobile-88

There is a Mk2 Ford Lotus Cortina which has been restored to a beautiful standard, Guide price of £30k-£32k, I think it might go higher.
Takes me back to 1979 when one of the lads in the year above at college had one of those.
It had one of those stupid musical car horns & furry dice hanging from the interior mirror 😁
He bragged “No one has a car faster here” 🙄
It had a spoiler on the front valance that was about 2” off the ground,how we all smirked when he came tearing down the road hitting a brick that had fallen off a skip.The spoiler was in a few pieces after coming into contact with the object.

DB9

Takes me back to 1979 when one of the lads in the year above at college had one of those.
It had one of those stupid musical car horns & furry dice hanging from the interior mirror 😁
He bragged “No one has a car faster here” 🙄
It had a spoiler on the front valance that was about 2” off the ground,how we all smirked when he came tearing down the road hitting a brick that had fallen off a skip.The spoiler was in a few pieces after coming into contact with the object.
And if we knew what we knew now on how much they came to be worth you'd bitten off his hand to buy it. :)

Oldsmobile-88

And if we knew what we knew now on how much they came to be worth you'd bitten off his hand to buy it. :)
It was a tidy sum back then iirc a few multiples more than a standard MK2.
He bought it off another lad in his class who was ace working on engines.
I bumped into him a couple of years ago,we had a good laugh & reminisce about the car