• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Automobiles : Good,Bad & the Ugly.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
A glorious drive back from Dundee yesterday. Left at 8.10am rolled into Heavitree at 5.40pm.
A unheard of completely clear run of 520 miles. Not even a hold up on the usual spot at the M6/M5 turn off at Walsall.

Grecian2K

A glorious drive back from Dundee yesterday. Left at 8.10am rolled into Heavitree at 5.40pm.
A unheard of completely clear run of 520 miles. Not even a hold up on the usual spot at the M6/M5 turn off at Walsall.
If only you'd known you could even have taken a quick detour down the M to Cobblers land and still been home int time for your bedtime Ovaltine. :sneaky:

Oldsmobile-88

If only you'd known you could even have taken a quick detour down the M to Cobblers land and still been home int time for your bedtime Ovaltine. :sneaky:
It did cross my mind. If it had been a 3pm KO I may have chanced it.

Grecian2K

It did cross my mind. If it had been a 3pm KO I may have chanced it.
Agree it would have been a bit of a push.
But wouldn't it have been worth the "3 points"?

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Reminds me of journeys home from Scottish holidays. A clear run was essential, but I was usually OK. Luckily it's all downhill from Scotland ! :)

contrabombarde

Reminds me of journeys home from Scottish holidays. A clear run was essential, but I was usually OK. Luckily it's all downhill from Scotland ! :)
Me too! I remember well a journey from Fort William to Exeter many years ago in a Sunbeam Rapier convertible. It rained every inch of the way and the soft top leaked like a sieve. My two kids sitting in the back had to wear their rain coats with their hoods up.

Bridgy 81

Interesting.
I’ve just watched two series of a Police/forensic science drama on BBC iPlayer called Traces, which was ok.
It’s set in Dundee.
I have been to Scotland but haven’t travelled extensively there.
I liked the looked of Dundee and fancy a drive up there.
I wouldn’t do a nine hour one though in the same day!
I’d prefer to do it in stages, perhaps stop in the Midlands and maybe Carlisle then onto our destination.
I’m thinking of waiting until next season’s fixture list is out and seeing if I can time a trip to see either Dundee or Dundee United at home, or ideally both in the same week.
They should both be in the Scottish Premier League by then.

Oldsmobile-88

Me too! I remember well a journey from Fort William to Exeter many years ago in a Sunbeam Rapier convertible. It rained every inch of the way and the soft top leaked like a sieve. My two kids sitting in the back had to wear their rain coats with their hoods up.
Forgotten all about Sunbeam motors. The Rapier was a handsome looking car. My dad had a Sunbeam Stiletto from 1969-73.

My first trip to Fort William was in 1976, that was in a yellow VW Golf, height of luxury, it had a factory fitted radio 😁.

Oldsmobile-88

Interesting.
I’ve just watched two series of a Police/forensic science drama on BBC iPlayer called Traces, which was ok.
It’s set in Dundee.
I have been to Scotland but haven’t travelled extensively there.
I liked the looked of Dundee and fancy a drive up there.
I wouldn’t do a nine hour one though in the same day!
I’d prefer to do it in stages, perhaps stop in the Midlands and maybe Carlisle then onto our destination.
I’m thinking of waiting until next season’s fixture list is out and seeing if I can time a trip to see either Dundee or Dundee United at home, or ideally both in the same week.
They should both be in the Scottish Premier League by then.
I usually do a Scotland trip to coincide with a away game... Carlisle, Morecambe or as in last Saturday week Port Vale.. Stayed in Lancaster after the PV game.
Dundee is a great city. It’s my favourite place after Fort William north of the border. In the last decade the old dock areas have been transformed. Edinburgh is also a great city though a bit pricey. Parts of the old Glasgow has sadly got very scruffy in the past few years which is a real shame. Worth a visit though to the former 2nd city of The British Empire

contrabombarde

Forgotten all about Sunbeam motors. The Rapier was a handsome looking car. My dad had a Sunbeam Stiletto from 1969-73.

My first trip to Fort William was in 1976, that was in a yellow VW Golf, height of luxury, it had a factory fitted radio 😁.
Yes the Rapier was a great car. Bought it early 70s for £285 from a colleague who incidentally played for Friernhay at the time. I remember you could flick a column stick to engage overdrive. Saw one recently at a classic car show. I love going to those. Such memories. ( It’s all I have now!🤣)