• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Argyle's new owner

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
If HP had ever expressed an interest in "redeveloping" Brentford's ground would he have allowed through the Griffin Door?
He might manage to slither in.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bravo, Greyhound (y)

You're far to quick for me!!!

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Didn't he get money from the local council to help fix up the pavilions as well ? ............. then promptly sold it on having made sure he still held control of the concession part ( the actual money making bit ).

Bet Dorkus has been crying into his trough trying to figure out how he can now be best mates with the new guy , unless of course he already has his trotters under the table !

Sure they'll be someone normal from ATD along shortly to let us know.... Where's Zod when you need him lol

STURTZ

I hear that it was Porkey that drove Brent away, well they do call him the chauffeur.

These marvellous new chairmen at Slime usually have their own agenda, wonder what this one's is.

Colesman Ballz

Didn't he get money from the local council to help fix up the pavilions as well ? ............. then promptly sold it on having made sure he still held control of the concession part ( the actual money making bit ).

Bet Dorkus has been crying into his trough trying to figure out how he can now be best mates with the new guy , unless of course he already has his trotters under the table !

Sure they'll be someone normal from ATD along shortly to let us know.... Where's Zod when you need him lol
The situation as I understand it is that he still owns it, and that it was losing shedloads of money so council "gave it away" for a quid or something stupid like that, but he has to keep it open and can't sell or redevelop it until he builds a new ice rink up by Home Park. When he bought Gnome Park back for a knock down price also included was "Higher Home Park" the area between HP and the Life Centre/site of the new rink. He then transferred ownership of HHP to one of his companies. A planning application was put in for the refurb of the Mayflower and a commercial development (presumably to pay the cost of the ice rink). This was granted but has a number of onerous condition which he has not fulfilled, so he can't start building. As part of today's announcement he has sold a good chunk of HHP back to the Club. So he now has to find other ways to finance his scheme, and new "owner" Hallett will submit a new application for Argyle's bit and finance it. Behind the scenes I would suspect that Harry Potter's hand was forced by the new incumbent ! Read ATD for the full story.

Stelios

The situation as I understand it is that he still owns it, and that it was losing shedloads of money so council "gave it away" for a quid or something stupid like that, but he has to keep it open and can't sell or redevelop it until he builds a new ice rink up by Home Park. When he bought Gnome Park back for a knock down price also included was "Higher Home Park" the area between HP and the Life Centre/site of the new rink. He then transferred ownership of HHP to one of his companies. A planning application was put in for the refurb of the Mayflower and a commercial development (presumably to pay the cost of the ice rink). This was granted but has a number of onerous condition which he has not fulfilled, so he can't start building. As part of today's announcement he has sold a good chunk of HHP back to the Club. So he now has to find other ways to finance his scheme, and new "owner" Hallett will submit a new application for Argyle's bit and finance it. Behind the scenes I would suspect that Harry Potter's hand was forced by the new incumbent ! Read ATD for the full story.
As I understood it from watching Spotlight a few months ago the Council didn't just 'give away' the Pavillions etc for a token sum. They actually paid him about £3million quid to take it off their hands and to cover running costs etc! He then did bugger all with it and has been selling off parts of it (car parks etc) to developers. Which begs the obvious question: Why on on earth didn't the Council just sell it off themselves and keep the money themselves??? From the outside it looked like a complete scandal but maybe I've missed something?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
As I understood it from watching Spotlight a few months ago the Council didn't just 'give away' the Pavillions etc for a token sum. They actually paid him about £3million quid to take it off their hands and to cover running costs etc! He then did bugger all with it and has been selling off parts of it (car parks etc) to developers. Which begs the obvious question: Why on on earth didn't the Council just sell it off themselves and keep the money themselves??? From the outside it looked like a complete scandal but maybe I've missed something?
That was my take on it as well , Thing is if the place was apparently losing X amount every month why would someone take it on if there wasn't some sort of incentive !

It was meant to be worth 5 mil ... so the council gives him 3 mil to take it off their hands for him to hold onto it for a couple of months then sell it on again ?

Sounds very similar to how HP was sold off by the local council to a certain someone , hasn't anyone worked out down there all these properties/land being given away are worth money to someone other than Harry ?

Colesman Ballz

That was my take on it as well , Thing is if the place was apparently losing X amount every month why would someone take it on if there wasn't some sort of incentive !

It was meant to be worth 5 mil ... so the council gives him 3 mil to take it off their hands for him to hold onto it for a couple of months then sell it on again ?

Sounds very similar to how HP was sold off by the local council to a certain someone , hasn't anyone worked out down there all these properties/land being given away are worth money to someone other than Harry ?
Hadn't heard about the £3M, but sounds right ! One of proposed HHP development planning conditions was the installation of major new drainage installation, which when Harry Plotter asked PCC to pay for/provide it seemingly PCC told him to do one. We need one of our greenie posters to fill us in on the details, any takers ? SirFD ? TigerT ? Grais ? or even the bleddy cat ?

Terryhall

Just to add that the actual £ amounts involved are available to be seen online at the Companies House beta... I did some crunching of it the other day and it seems that Hallett has been slowly building up a stake in PAFC since he first became a director, eventually reaching around 43% (to Brent's 50%) in April of last year. The overall detail of the latest splurge isn't yet available at Companies House but a week or so ago the total share capital jumped to about 8.5m which would suggest that Hallett has increased his stake. Interesting to see whether Brent retained his former stake(s) or whether he has sold, the detail will come out with the annual accounts if not before I expect.

(The companies house beta is down at the moment so I can't go on to check the exact amounts / dates but the above is roughly accurate at least).

Colesman Ballz

Just to add that the actual £ amounts involved are available to be seen online at the Companies House beta... I did some crunching of it the other day and it seems that Hallett has been slowly building up a stake in PAFC since he first became a director, eventually reaching around 43% (to Brent's 50%) in April of last year. The overall detail of the latest splurge isn't yet available at Companies House but a week or so ago the total share capital jumped to about 8.5m which would suggest that Hallett has increased his stake. Interesting to see whether Brent retained his former stake(s) or whether he has sold, the detail will come out with the annual accounts if not before I expect.

(The companies house beta is down at the moment so I can't go on to check the exact amounts / dates but the above is roughly accurate at least).
It's been suggested that Brent has retained a 30% holding, iirc that would equate to the amount of shares he quietly transferred to his Akeron company earlier this year.
There was a post on ATD within the last week which may interest you. Someone there like yourself has been digging into Brent's background and his various companies accounts. Haven't time to check the post, but iirc there combined net liabilities were stated as c 42m, and assets at about a third of that figure. Maybe the transfer was in order to improve the balance sheet ? Also I believe that there was a (rights ?)share issue very recently with a premium put on new shares (maybe a third ?) which could explain the jump in total share capital. Hope this helps Terry' happy reading !