• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Archive pictures of Old Exeter

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Eric Hayden was quite a character because he allowed the cops to sit in the back of the cafe after they had parked their squad cars in Woodbine Terrace.
They would have parked outside of Neil Dimond's house then. In any event, talking of Erics association with the police reminds me; Around 1962, people were needed to make up an identity parade at Heavitree Road Station, so they called and asked Eric for recruits. Two of us jumped into Erics car (He had a Wolseley at that time) and we stood in the lineup which included the 'suspect' who was Pat Cox (brother of boxers Phil and Chris Cox). The 'identifier' was Harold Garnsworthy who ran the Long Bar in North Street at that time. I never did know what the alleged offence was, but in any event Garnsworthy made a balls up of the ID process (lost his nerve I suspect) and we all departed to go back to the Clock. We got the princely sum of 2/6 (half a crown) for our trouble.

StroudGrecian

They would have parked outside of Neil Dimond's house then.
It's just a hunch, but I am prepared to bet that Neil Diamond never lived in Woodbine Terrace.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It's just a hunch, but I am prepared to bet that Neil Diamond never lived in Woodbine Terrace.
I'm A Believer.

Grecian2K

Me too Hants.

I recall he used to find Caroline, the barmaid at the Pack Horse, rather sweet.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Pete's getting mixed up with Neil Diment, who sadly, is no longer with us.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
For those missing Exeter, you can take a virtual tour here

Mr Jinx

Don't know if any of you caught this yesterday. Some pics of the Beatles in Exeter in the early Sixties.

Wonder if anyone can make out someone in the crowd?

'Lost' 1960s photos of Beatles and Rolling Stones found in box | Daily Mail Online

Oldsmobile-88

Higher Barracks flats 1986.Demolished around 1990.King Stephen Close is on the site now.

The flats were used as the last chance saloon from what I remember from working there,for council tenants who had caused problems at previous properties.
They could not be trashed much because they were in poor condition anyway.A rough old place to work.
There were a couple of other council properties that were similar.Weirfield House & Friars Lodge.
35D47D4E-3888-4AA0-B9A1-9EE15D247313.jpeg

IndoMike

For those missing Exeter, you can take a virtual tour here

Useful for me to share on FB .
But, no donkey photos??!!

Oldsmobile-88

I’m guessing the image is from about 1970. Boots appears to be having a refurbishment. I wonder what the occasion is in the High St ?

C80B1016-CC9E-44B3-A5C9-48BB51892FFA.jpeg