• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alfie Pond

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes you did, ' If Rangers are comparable to Villa, lets make them match Villa's generosity re. Chrisene' !
The problem is, because the club has done well with the money they have received before, they put a bigger price tag on the next player coming through, which is not always realistic! Look at the Key situation last summer!
Nope.
There’s a distinct difference between matching another clubs generosity and mirroring the amount of money involved exactly.
City were content with Villa’s offer and less than impressed with Rangers offer.
He’s our player and we set the price.

JCWhoosh

If clubs are allowed to pinch players for a minimum fee then there really should be at least 40% sell on fee built in to the deal by default and negotiations to bring down the 40% with a better offer to the selling club.

Thames Valley Red

Reading all this thread does make me think that the £3M we just invested in the Academy needs to balanced on the return on investment in the present market, undoubtedly many positives, but there needs to be balance if your best prospects can be moved on for £60k compensation. Yes, of course you get those that stay. In the future we need to look at the benefit of investments in the current football climate. With regards to Alfie, he would be best to knuckle down and wait for a better move. I remember Chris Vinnicombe going to Rangers , Phillips to Manchester City and a few more that did not develop the career they crave. Still so young with time on his hands, if he really does have City in his heart, ditch the agent and at least create a pathway for yourself at 30-32 when your legs have gone, the club would have you back. People have long memories, All the best Alfie...make a good life decision.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Reading all this thread does make me think that the £3M we just invested in the Academy needs to balanced on the return on investment in the present market,
We haven't invested £3m in our Academy though have we? We have invested £3m in our training ground which is primarily used by our first team and is also used by our Academy.

The Academy has paid for itself several times over in the last 10 years. As you also say, some players stay. What value do you put on MJ and Archie who have been first team regulars for three years?

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Alfie will be best served, and best placed, doing what Alfie deems to be in his best interests, not what TVR or anyone else has decided is best for him.

I'm sure the waking every morning to train up against the likes of Alfredo Morelos, at a club that was a Europa League finalist last season, as well as the potential bank balance, will go some way to easing the upset of a few City supporters and knowing he'll never be highly regarded by City's support base.

I hope he stays at City and builds upon his good start. if he doesn't, I wish him luck.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I do worry however that the Academy route to success may be more difficult for ECFC to sustain in the future now the young players all seem to have agents and the rest.

And I can't see the big clubs wanting to make the system fairer to the likes of us.

It's a difficult balance, and will only get more complicated IMO.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I do worry however that the Academy route to success may be more difficult for ECFC to sustain in the future now the young players all seem to have agents and the rest.

And I can't see the big clubs wanting to make the system fairer to the likes of us.

It's a difficult balance, and will only get more complicated IMO.
I agree with the involvement of agents (commission merchants) in our academy, as can be seen, unsettling players and feeding dreams, will make things a lot more difficult.

Cowshed Grecian

I'll be gutted if Pond leaves, which it looks like he will and for a pittance. Although i can see why he doesn't want to go out on loan again, he's 18..6ft 3....He's been ready for a while physically...perhaps promising him some guarenteed game time asap would of been the way forward.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Alfie will be best served, and best placed, doing what Alfie deems to be in his best interests, not what TVR or anyone else has decided is best for him.

I'm sure the waking every morning to train up against the likes of Alfredo Morelos, at a club that was a Europa League finalist last season, as well as the potential bank balance, will go some way to easing the upset of a few City supporters and knowing he'll never be highly regarded by City's support base.

I hope he stays at City and builds upon his good start. if he doesn't, I wish him luck.
I think the fact that he refused to be loaned out has soured things somewhat and he has put himself and the club in a difficult position. The question is : what do we do with him, and if he does get into the first team will his heart be in it.
If a player gives a kind of ultimatum it makes it hard for everyone.
In my opinion the club should enforce the contract, which Pond was happy enough to sign not long ago. He can't have it both ways If it means he is a lingerer then so be it.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'll be gutted if Pond leaves, which it looks like he will and for a pittance. Although i can see why he doesn't want to go out on loan again, he's 18..6ft 3....He's been ready for a while physically...perhaps promising him some guarenteed game time asap would of been the way forward.
Plenty more fish in the pond.

Seriously though, this is something I and other posters have previously alluded to and the club have talked about in recent times - selling at the right time and keeping pathways open.

My guess is that had Stubbs been fitter sooner he may well have been sold this summer. Likewise, Hartridge has had his share of injuries and you might have expected, at his age, that he would have gone by now. It's a fine balancing act.