• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alan Green

Gozzer

Very well known Exeweb poster
We all know the man is a tw*t of the first order, but he took things too far on Saturday. His opinion on the Henry handball incident is that Richard Dunne should have gone up to Henry after the gave and 'given him a smack in the face' for being a cheat and not owning up to it straight away.

Then he took a call on 606 with the caller challenging him on this (quite rightly, IMO) and Green claimed that it was a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously, before cutting the guy off and trying to get the next caller (who may not even have heard what Green had said) to back him up that it was a joke.

I can recognise most jokes and some of them look like Alan Green.

I was thinking of getting a campaign going to get rid of the tw*t off the radio, but I'm too apathetic, even though I hate the sanctimonious tw*t more than ever. I thought I would share it with you lot instead. I might feel better if this thread turned into a stream of abuse about Northern Ireland's favourite export...

angelic upstart

I would suggest rather than us all go on about what we hate about Alan Green. Does anyone have the minerals to actually say "Yeah, I like the bloke" and give a reason why. I would love to be proved wrong, I say the same about Fleetwood too...

Bittners a Legend

I hate him. A lot. I've always intended to write a long, sanctimonious complaint to the BBC about him but have never got around to it and know it will fall on deaf ears.

There is a facebook group about him, I am a member, and I will link you to it when I return from the pub.

finetime

Considering he is paid incredibly well to fly all over the world to watch top-level football it never fails to amaze me just how much of a negative, depressing whinging tw*t he comes across as.

It was (possibly) entertaining 10 or so years ago but any semblance of commentary has just been replaced with continual moaning as the time has gone on and he has got older. It seems like once in a bad mood he will do nothing else but person, moan and do everything else but commentate on the game at hand.

F*cking tw*t I wish 5live would drop him because they have excellent commentators available.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I don't mind him too much to be honest - yes he does play the sanctimonious card a bit too much, but he's not afraid to say when he thinks someone is cheating or a game is rubbish.

Worst thing was Mike (?) Parry on Talksh*te once. Was when they had the Test match rights one winter so I had the radio tuned into them for once, and the FA Cup draw had thrown together Portsmouth and Southampton, just after 'Arry had decamped to the Saints. Parry was going on about how 'Arry shouldn't even be in the country on the day of the match, let alone in Portsmouth, because to be there would cause a riot. Caller after caller suggested Parry was talking out of his backside, even the American chap he had in the studio was berating him, but Parry would not be moved, essentially suggesting he would be murdered.

elginCity

Green claimed that it was a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously, before cutting the guy off..
By chance I was listening, and agree in this case Green was ignorant and condescending in the way he responded to the caller.

Didn't hear his original comment about Henry and Dunne, but wouldn't have thought it was meant to be taken literally. Doesn't excuse the rudeness though.

Don't dislike Green's opinionated style normally, but he was out of order in this instance.

Phil Sayers

I don't mind him too much to be honest - yes he does play the sanctimonious card a bit too much, but he's not afraid to say when he thinks someone is cheating or a game is rubbish.
I agree. Makes a refreshing change to have someone who is not afraid to say what they really think (even though it is often complete rubbish) as opposed to identical plastic commentators who run a mile from controversy.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting wiki page about him..he has upset a lot of people
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Green_(broadcaster)

tada

angelic upstart

I listen to a football match on the radio, because I want to know what is going on, not because I want to hear peoples opinions and crap in jokes, I have Exeweb for that.

Interesting article about the Saggers/Green feud here - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1077391/Charles-Sale-5-Live-spat-leaves-Green-flying-solo.html

Yes, I am aware it's the daily mail...

Gozzer

OK, the one advantage Green has is that he does call a poor match a poor match. If other commentators did that, then Green would be completely redundant.

As for the Henry/ Dunne thing he did say it in all seriousness, even if he (probably) didn't mean it.

He could easily have said Dunne should have refused to shake Henry's hand or told him that he was a cheat and left it at that. But Green's suggestion was that Dunne should have slapped him. That's fine as a throwaway comment in the pub, but a BBC commentator should be more responsible. It was unnecessary, unprofessional and stupid. He's a tw*t.