• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alan Beer and a great comeback....

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
yes, I remember the game, but not through being there. Difficult though it may be for young people to understand/believe this but I didn't find out the result until reading a newspaper the following morning . the game that was the most important in getting us promoted . So astonishing to read the score as Barnsley (3) 3 Exeter (0) 4.

Wuzbrer

It was certainly a wrenched from my point of view lol.. but very memorable.
After that, my one and only visit to St James's Park was just over three years afterwards

PeteUSA

Did he drop it under pressure? ;)

Peter Springett was notoriously poor dealing with crosses at St James Park, and had a distinct dislike for the way the floodlights were sited. He never had a good game at SJP, whether it was with Barnsley or a member of that Sheffield Wed team we beat in the League Cup in 1968. You must remember Mike?

haka

We've discussed the game on here from time to time. There was a score update announced on ITV (Westward, our local version). "Barnsley 3 Exeter City 0". So that was that. There's always next season.

As mentioned, most supporters found out City had won the next day, and still didn't believe it.

Wuzbrer

Peter Springett was notoriously poor dealing with crosses at St James Park, and had a distinct dislike for the way the floodlights were sited. He never had a good game at SJP, whether it was with Barnsley or a member of that Sheffield Wed team we beat in the League Cup in 1968. You must remember Mike?
Mike who? 🤔

Squeezebox

I think I still have the E&E cutting of the match report somewhere! Those were the days - my Dad used to cut out all the Grecian news from the paper and once a week send them up to me in the Lakes!

Oldsmobile-88

I think I still have the E&E cutting of the match report somewhere! Those were the days - my Dad used to cut out all the Grecian news from the paper and once a week send them up to me in the Lakes!
If you can find any cuttings it would be great if you could put them in the Exeter City Memories sub forum on the Odds & sods thread.

I have put a couple of cuttings photoed from microfiche,unfortunately the quality is never as good as a good old hard copy cutting.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
"It were a reet good win, and the best of luck." Charlie Williams generous in defeat. (y)

Oldsmobile-88

"It were a reet good win, and the best of luck." Charlie Williams generous in defeat. (y)
A lad I was at college with,his father played with Charlie Williams at Doncaster Rovers when they were in the 2nd Division(mid 1950s) He said he was a decent player.
I had always seen him as a entertainer,comedian & compère on The Golden Shot 😁

Wuzbrer

He used to be quite regular down Oakwell.. always laughing and joking.