• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alan Beer and a great comeback....

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
He used to be quite regular down Oakwell.. always laughing and joking.
The chap I mentioned who played with Charlie also played for Barnsley-Lol Chappell he was quite a goalscorer for Barnsley,I knew he scored a few because his son was always mentioning it at college 😁 Just checked his record,94 goals in 214 appearances..Very impressive.

Oldsmobile-88

It was certainly a wrenched from my point of view lol.. but very memorable.
After that, my one and only visit to St James's Park was just over three years afterwards

STURTZ

I was there! A student in Leeds at the time I bussed it down to Barnsley for that bitterly cold wednesday evening game. Stood alone on the smaller end surrounded by old miners that shook their heads and muttered "Not bluddy good enough son," to me at half time. Second half was a well documented amazing resurgence, Beer, Kellow, Robertson, Hodge and Jennings all over the Barnsley defence and they cracked. City fans standing crying in the grandstand as the goals flew in, not many fans saw it, even less still around now. We brought coachloads to Donny on the saturday, went three up by half time and it was party time, promotion guaranteed!

Wuzbrer

That's the game I was at lol 👍 Coach I was on stopped off in Gloucester on the way home and the locals took umbrage to our presence.