• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Adam's funeral

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've just got back from the cathedral and thought I'd post a few words for those who would have liked to have been there but, for whatever reason, couldn't be.

Firstly, the turn-out was fantastic - all the more do when you consider the filthy weather in Exeter today - with at least 300 or 400 people, including myself, forced to look on from outside.

I missed the first few minutes of the service on account of the city centre being even more gridlocked than I'd envisaged and parking spaces all but impossible to find. That aside, it was, as you'd expect a moving occasion which concluded with the hymn Jerusalem and then a song by the Foo Fighters as Adam's flower-ladden coffin was placed into the hearse - the cue for two or three minutes of spontaneous applause.

As you might imagine, virtually all the current playing squad seemed to be in attendance but it was also good to see so many of Adam's former teammates - many of who must have travelled a considerable distance - and demonstrated the affection in which so many people, clearly, held him.

Among those I spotted where James Bittner, Jon Challinor, Jake Edwards, Alex Inglethorpe, Gary Johnson, Jamie Mackie, Bary McConnell, George Friend, Dean Moxey, Manny Panther, Danny Potter (not sure he ever played in the same team as Stanno but he was definitely there), Neil Saunders, Terry Skiverton and Danny Woodards, as well as lots of Yeovil players whose faces I recognised but couldn't put a name to.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks Egg.

Sounds like a great turnout, giving Stanno the send off he deserved. Still so sad.

RIP Stanno.

greenawayr

Certainly sounds like an occasion befitting the man, with so many turning up to pay their respects.

Gone but never to be forgotten.

Ian_Woodward

It was very sad. Outside the cathedral looked packed despite the rain. Loads of old city players about and saw Mark Halsey as well. Came into the song Run by Leona Lewis and left to My Hero by Foo Fighters. Tisdale spoke during the service which was nice. Think it's sunk in now that will never see him playing for City again :(

shakey18

My Hero by the Foo Fighters-a brilliant song that sums Stanno up.Brilliant choice.

Very emotional yet appropriate service. Tiz made a good speech, heartfelt from him the club, and the fans. He struggled to get through it naturally - showed what Adam meant to him and the club. Whatever emotion we as supporters felt pales into significance to what Marie and the family must be going through..

Prayers and Thoughts with them....

Chris

edindevon

Spotlight report from lunchtime news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0gVTCiwyuQ

Cos

My Hero by the Foo Fighters-a brilliant song that sums Stanno up.Brilliant choice.
I'll always think of Stanno when this song is played now. Great choice.

Hammer44

Thanks Egg much apprciated.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I thought Paul Tisdale's words were exactly right.

So good to see so many line the High Street and also outside the cathedral. The weather was truly horrid, and it would have been so easy to have left, but people stayed, of all ages.