• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A legend in his own right

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'll agree that he enjoyed an exceptional first five years but since then it has been a slow but steady decline.

In particular in recent times his away form has often been far better than some of his dismal home performances.

So I, 4-1, say LION MUST GO!!! ;)

I'll agree that he enjoyed an exceptional first five years but since then it has been a slow but steady decline.

In particular in recent times his away form has often been far better than some of his dismal home performances.

So I, 4-1, say LION MUST GO!!! ;)

( You always know there's going to be one, eh )

fred binneys head

I agree with the pro-lion comments, a top job done in my view, well done Sumner and keep it up!

I also second the view that the Cheltenham robin needs to get it big time next season - I still remember Alex stabbing it with a spear and throwing its oversized shoes into the crowd. That was before he was banned. I'm sure he did something similar away to York too. I expect Grecian the Lion to cuddle the City fans and rip the throat out of the opposition mascot - is that too much to ask?

Fareham Grecian

I agree with the pro-lion comments, a top job done in my view, well done Sumner and keep it up!

I also second the view that the Cheltenham robin needs to get it big time next season - I still remember Alex stabbing it with a spear and throwing its oversized shoes into the crowd. That was before he was banned. I'm sure he did something similar away to York too. I expect Grecian the Lion to cuddle the City fans and rip the throat out of the opposition mascot - is that too much to ask?
I was there at Cheltenham. Alex was my MOM.

Good effort the lion though.

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I'm just one cog in the clockwork that is ECFC though, there are countless others behind the scenes deserving of praise for their efforts too.

As for the battle with the Cheltenham robin, I think you'll find the lion is a lover rather than a fighter ;) - only met him once and no fisticuffs happened then, I unfortunately didn't witness Alex the Greek's efforts against him all those years ago!

I agree with everything that's been said. In fact at some games he has been more interesting than the match.
I do try, however as you can probably tell it's a difficult task at times to be entertaining and upbeat when witnessing some of the dire home performances we've seen!

The big thing for me is trying to convey my passion for the club through the role, as I've always said that first and foremost I am a City fan. Kissing the badge in front of the bank gives me immense pride, and I love giving the lion character, running about and being as sprightly as I can be. As Pete mentions previously, I'm a bit fitter these days, partly thanks to taking up running!

This season has provided some great memories as lion though - what a privilege it was to be part of the celebrations when we beat our green friends down the road a few weeks back, and making it onto national TV for the Liverpool game - tapping Dan Walker on the shoulder whilst he was going through the Liverpool line up made for a great bit of TV, I timed it perfectly even though I didn't know it at the time!

On another note, if I had a £1 for every time I was asked how I manage to sign autographs after the game on Saturday I'd be a very rich man - it becomes an art form after 10 years!

Anyway, I'm waffling. Thanks again all, hope the lion and I can do you and ECFC proud for many more seasons to come. [G]

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
you can't knock his enthusiasm.

andrew p long

I echo all the above and the moment in the Liverpool coverage was magic, lovely to get that recognition!

First game 2015/16 vs Yeovil

malcolms

I wouldn't want to downplay Sumner's role in any way....but why an ffiinngg Lion?

Antony Moxey

Probably because the club found the outfit going cheap somewhere so bought it first then worried about how to make it fit with football club. Grecian the Lion: Pride of Devon - you'd pay a marketing guru a fortune to come up with that one.