• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A legend in his own right

Hardly gets a mention but always brings on a smile .......

.......I'm talking about Grecian the Lion !

Thank you Chris for everything you do at every home game for several years now, you've given Grecian the Lion a character all of it's own, with that stylish saunter, the brilliantly bouncy mane and that comical pot belly you have to be top mascot in the league without doubt,

your dedication, enthusiasm and energy is second to none and your fantastic interaction with all ages in the crowd, but especially the youngsters, is top drawer .......

May I suggest to the club that you be given a free season ticket for life for all your efforts and dedication when the time comes to hang up your paws.

So I propose we raise a glass to Chris......long may he roar !

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, I wasn't expecting this, thank you very much. Very very kind words.

It's an honour and a pleasure. I remember thinking when I was younger and first started following City how frustrating it was that we didn't have a consistent mascot - little did I know back then that I could be the one to make the difference!

July will mark 10 years since I first donned the suit, and it's been an absolute pleasure to give something back to the club we love by playing the role, and making a positive difference to someone's Matchday experience. Who knew that a drunken chat at the cricket would lead to this?!?

I've met so many great people and fellow Grecians since taking it on, some who I now class at great friends. Here's to many more years to come, as long as the club and my fellow Grecians are happy for me to continue I'll keep dressing up at weekends! UTC [G]

Last edited:

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good shout.

When Grecian the Lion was introduced I feared we might have swapped Alex the Greek for a 'rent-a-kit' mascot.
But you do give it real character.

The mane man and I ain't lion ;)

Pete Martin (CTID)

Can but endorse the OP. Although, as the lion himself has pointed out, his presence has been a tad more than "a few years". I well remember him making his first appearance in our Conference days.

I hope he won't growl at me for mentioning that, despite the lion's outward beer belly, the body inside the skin is quite a bit leaner and meaner since those days!!

StroudGrecian

Can you bring back the tradition of disembowelling the Cheltenham Robin next season please?

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Echo everything said on this thread a great ambassador for the club and you can tell he plays the role with real passion.
Long may it continue - well done sir [G]

Grecian68

I always thought Alex was a bit plastic, his outfit always looked like something you could buy in Woolworths.

Whereas, Grecian's outfit always looks good. And, the character is always played with pride and great passion.

Here's to at least another ten years Grecian. [G]

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Happy to echo all the above sentiments although Athena did have a couple of good points too!!

PeteUSA

I met him in the SJ Center back on November 12th 2006 - Our 40th wedding anniversary. We'd played Kidderminster, and lost! He didnt have the lion gear on so he introduced himself; we had a natter for quite a while. He's a really nice bloke. Much better than Athena, who I know was liked for her outstanding assets. She didnt have much else going for her though.

Kingsman

I agree with everything that's been said. In fact at some games he has been more interesting than the match.