• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A blessing in disguise that we failed to get promoted

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Have Wycombe had monies pumped into them to enable this push to the Championship ?Must have surely. In my mind I always put Wycombe about on a par with us probably because they were promoted with us ten years ago , but they seem to be racing ahead now.
To be honest I don't really know about the financial backing they have, Banksy. But it's not easy to get good backers who let their managers do their job without interference or
who always have good intentions. Whatever, they've done well.

i8cornwall

To be honest I don't really know about the financial backing they have, Banksy. But it's not easy to get good backers who let their managers do their job without interference or
who always have good intentions. Whatever, they've done well.
They where fan owned till I think around January this year but found a backer and held a ballot with there members to sell there shares in the club to a private owner.

I’m not sure if there fans trust owned the majority of the club like us or if they had less of a share holding similar to Hereford FC.

Grecian2K

Have Wycombe had monies pumped into them to enable this push to the Championship ?Must have surely. In my mind I always put Wycombe about on a par with us probably because they were promoted with us years ago , but they seem to be racing ahead now.
Fair enough. But they've taken their time getting there! :p

Banksy

Fair enough. But they've taken their time getting there! :p
I did say now. G2K ! 😀

IndoMike

They where fan owned till I think around January this year but found a backer and held a ballot with there members to sell there shares in the club to a private owner.

I’m not sure if there fans trust owned the majority of the club like us or if they had less of a share holding similar to Hereford FC.
Thanks for that info. I'll check it out. Still think missing promotion was not a blessing in disguise, although I can see why some do think that.

i8cornwall

Thanks for that info. I'll check it out. Still think missing promotion was not a blessing in disguise, although I can see why some do think that.
I agree and that what makes football and life interesting. any promotion is a step into the unknown regardless of covid or not.

I’ve a lot of time for Wycombe as a club as well, very similar to city in the way they treat fans and there community.

Pobbop

Promotion and glory is what football is about, so I'd normally say this thread was totally risible, but as the fans weren't there, and there would have been no way of properly celebrating, I am not so sure.

Still, as someone that can only remember about 3 promotions in decades of support, not sure I could sniff my nose at another one.

IN the end whatever happens, we have no idea what teams or Leagues will be competitive untill we see the full scale of the covid fall-out.

IndoMike

My il
I agree and that what makes football and life interesting. any promotion is a step into the unknown regardless of covid or not.

I’ve a lot of time for Wycombe as a club as well, very similar to city in the way they treat fans and there community.
My old boss many years ago was from High Wycombe and knew I disliked Wycombe W. Once he came back from a trip home and presented me with a Wycombe beanie. Had to admire his sense of humour 🙄.
Anyway, I use it as a football sometimes.
Maybe I need to change my mindset if you say it's a nice club.

Banksy

Part of my London family came from High Wycombe so I guess I should have some sort of soft spot for them.Hope they make it to the Championship anyway even if like Yeovil they come straight down again.

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
Have Wycombe had monies pumped into them to enable this push to the Championship ?Must have surely. In my mind I always put Wycombe about on a par with us probably because they were promoted with us years ago , but they seem to be racing ahead now.
I always like to use Wycombe as our yardstick, similar crowds to ours, one difference is they don't have a rookie manager. Ainsworth has always been a man I have admired, I feel he is overlooked for better jobs because they don't play sexy football. Sure, they have got knocked down before, but he gets them bouncing back and they keep punching above their weight.