• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A blessing in disguise that we failed to get promoted

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think it was a blessing in disguise.
If we get relegated from Div 1 to Div 2 at least we're still in the League But if we're in Div 2 and we get relegated......?
Also there's the question of momentum which has been lost. And it's easier to attract players on loan if we're in Div 1.
The only advantage imo is that it is easier to break in the youth in Div 2 than in Div 1
But overall for the fans I suggest it's more motivating to play against bigger names and go to bigger stadiums (if open) than to play against all those north western teams with small crowds and windy, wet, cold weather.

Devonboy

I don't see failing to get promoted to L1 as a "blessing in disguise". I see it as a disappointment.

Would we have struggled in L1? Perhaps. I doubt that we would have challenged for promotion next year but I believe that we would have survived. Most of the team's promoted from L2 do.

Anyhow - hypothetical.

It seems Pompey is trying to emulate our play-off curse - but with an emphasis of failing in the play-offs overall not just the final.

I don't think the standard of their last match against Oxford was all that good by either team by the way.

arthur

I don't think the blessing was in the least bit disguised. We weren't ready for L1, simple as that

Boyo

It's no surprise that L1 is a higher quality than L2, especially when looking at the top end of L1.

We've always struggled to establish ourselves at L1 level. Indeed a quick look at the stats suggests we've only ever finished above halfway in L1 four times. Our promotion in 2008 saw us relegated in our 3rd season, whilst our promotion in 1990 (Champions!) saw us relegated in the 4th season.

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
No one knows the situation next season yet, who knows what clubs will be left after this pandemic- the football map could look a lot different with the financial situation being in flux. Why would any club not want to get promoted? Most clubs that go up are not ready for the the step up and have to adapt to the situation accordingly.
Life is about taking chances, otherwise what is the point of competing. As long as you do not chase the dream and overspend-What is the worst that could happen- you would be back where you started from.

IndoMike

I don't think the blessing was in the least bit disguised. We weren't ready for L1, simple as that
We struggled the last time we went up yet the following season we finished just outside the playoffs. Wycombe struggled last season but are in the playoff final this season. We probably would struggle next season.but nobody can say if we would survive or not in Div 1

arthur

We struggled the last time we went up yet the following season we finished just outside the playoffs. Wycombe struggled last season but are in the playoff final this season. We probably would struggle next season.but nobody can say if we would survive or not in Div 1
I don't think you'd need to be Nostradamus to predict that a team without a credible forward line would face a very severe struggle to survive. Having a sporting chance of staying up is fair enough, but I don't think we'd reached that level

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we had gone up (sigh) I'm sure we could have competed with the likes of Accrington, Burton, Rochdale, MK, Wimbledon, Plymouth*, Northampton and even the other bigger names. It didn't happen but those clubs certainly are not out of our reach.

Blessing in disguise ? No chance.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
We have been in the top half of the fourth division for some time now, and from what we have seen being promoted and relegated between the third and fourth divisions, there isn't too much to worry about for obtaining and maintaining third division status, our problem is just getting there!

I feel this season not getting promoted is a blessing in disguise, not because of our inconsistent play but financially. We have lost a fair old whack from not being able to play out the season or play in front of a crowd in the play off, with a loss of potential merchandising as well as gate income. If we had got promoted there would be bonuses to pay, increased salaries across the board and an uncertainty about when we will start to receive income again to fund it.

There is all this talk about 'Ollie Monies' but this could be seasons away if at all, likewise Ampadu payments, and Storey payments, and Chrisene monies, possibly even Stansfield monies, all speculation and not to build or finance a season of uncertainty on. There is also talk about Premiershite helping out, and we all know how generous they are!

So in a way this season I am relieved not to be going up, let's see how the youngsters cope with league two football, and if it is a season of mid table mediocrity let's hope it's upper mid, and thank our lucky stars that we should have a team to support the following season. 🤞

Banksy

Have Wycombe had monies pumped into them to enable this push to the Championship ?Must have surely. In my mind I always put Wycombe about on a par with us probably because they were promoted with us years ago , but they seem to be racing ahead now.

Last edited: