• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

***** 23rd March **** Your neighbours need your support - Torquay United in peril

YellowMayday

That is true...and from reading this thread and the other, it seems walking away is exactly what that fat cat in charge wants.

I was just wondering if there was a way of sticking it to him by creating a phoenix club (not Peter Kay's).
It's being discussed and TUST do have a contingency plan along those lines. Personally i believe now is the time to launch it and not wait any longer.

paperclip

I really feel for Gulls fans at the moment, as I can still recall the absolute desperation and helplessness I felt not only in 2003 but also in 1996 (?) when ECFC was supposed to have come within 30 minutes of extinction and only the Beazer Homes deal saved things.

Hopefully things work out for them in some shape or form. I would be interested hear more about what they have planned for 23rd March.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
YellowMayday, Can i ask, Who are you talking for? is it yourself, An actual group or the Torquay trust? I'm only asking because the one thing you need at this very early stage is to talk as one voice, All the fans agreeing, As you saw with Bury there were two factions there that really didn't help either one. As fellow football fan of course i wish you well but you must have as many as you can muster of TUFC fans all onside or it could end up like a damp squib that would give Osbourne ammunition for him to say its "One or two agitators" He seems a slippery bugger and will seek to divide you.

YellowMayday

YellowMayday, Can i ask, Who are you talking for? is it yourself, An actual group or the Torquay trust? I'm only asking because the one thing you need at this very early stage is to talk as one voice, All the fans agreeing, As you saw with Bury there were two factions there that really didn't help either one. As fellow football fan of course i wish you well but you must have as many as you can muster of TUFC fans all onside or it could end up like a damp squib that would give Osbourne ammunition for him to say its "One or two agitators" He seems a slippery bugger and will seek to divide you.
Very fair quastion, and transparency is wise.

Right now, I alone am driving this and calling for action, both on our forum, on here and on Pasoti. There is support on our forum and the inevitable timid go along to get along types as well, contributing their characterisitc dig posts towards anything or anyone who dares to stand up and be counted and go against the grain. You know, they same types who fit right into the communist dictators dream society.

anyway rant over.

Here is where I am so far. I have good feedback and suggestion on the Pasoti board and on here too. I have also some good feedback and agreement on our own fans forum. All three posts were only started yesterday (Links below to all), after having had enough of waiting for TUST to take any real action, as they instead seem to think a Steering Group is going to be making a difference.
In addition, regarding a Phoenix club, I am reaching out to some local clubs with small decent grounds that might offer a groundshare.

The intention is to get much more organised leading up to 23rd March, with banners, a plan and an idea on numbers. Assuming also it is necessary to communicate this plan to the Police so that they can ensure nothing untoward goes off and people are all safe.

I am reaching out to reporters like David Conn of the Guardian, who helped Argyle and liaise with them when they were in troubled times and a few Podcasts too.

In addition, i intend to create a website to light a new torch alongside the TUST but separate in order to drive change with the necessary force. TUST are just not up for it and far to inclined to sit down with liars and listen, be placated and come away with a stale loaf of bread and be grateful for it.

Organisation is in it's infancy but watch this space. 23rd March has to be the ideal date to aim for.

Please anyone with thoughts/responses to contribute to the Torquay forum, please write them directly onto the Torquay forum on the above linked threads.

Last edited:

DB9

Thanks for the response, If true what you say about the TUST, That is very disappointing to say the least, If they're either sitting on their collective hands or being taken in by Osborne and his cronies you will have a job on your hands to get people motivated, TBH honest on the other Torquay thread on here, That is one thing that is leveled out about the fans, You're not singing with one voice and being a "Small Club" (No disrespect intended) it will be harder to get organised but you have started in the right vein by getting the other professional clubs fans in Devon informed (And maybe motivated to help) about what you're planning. Fingers crossed you can get others on board.

YellowMayday

Thanks for the response, If true what you say about the TUST, That is very disappointing to say the least, If they're either sitting on their collective hands or being taken in by Osborne and his cronies you will have a job on your hands to get people motivated, TBH honest on the other Torquay thread on here, That is one thing that is leveled out about the fans, You're not singing with one voice and being a "Small Club" (No disrespect intended) it will be harder to get organised but you have started in the right vein by getting the other professional clubs fans in Devon informed (And maybe motivated to help) about what you're planning. Fingers crossed you can get others on board.
To be fair, TUST have got a Phoenix Club contingency plan in place and I believe they have met and received advise from the ECFC Trust. The issue as I and many other see it is, whilst they have done this, they are now sitting waiting for something to happen, and the demise is so slow and cleverly managed that when the end comes non of the contingency plans will make a difference, Osborne will have all angles covered and part of his plan has to be the demise of the current stadium.

We have enough motivation I believe, they just need to be rallied, There will always be those who object, we just need enough, and on a forum that can create a false impression of % for and against. In addition there will be many, who when they see some momentum and something happening, will jump on board.

Yes it's a tough ask to make it all happen but better to try than not at all.

Last edited:

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
That is true...and from reading this thread and the other, it seems walking away is exactly what that fat cat in charge wants.

I was just wondering if there was a way of sticking it to him by creating a phoenix club (not Peter Kay's).
We're Bolton, we're barmy

DB9

DB9

To be fair, TUST have got a Phoenix Club contingency plan in place and I believe they have met and received advise from the ECFC Trust. The issue as I and many other see it is, whilst they have done this, they are now sitting waiting for something to happen, and the demise is so slow and cleverly managed that when the end comes non of the contingency plans will make a difference, Osborne will have all angles covered and part of his plan has to be the demise of the current stadium.

We have enough motivation I believe, they just need to be rallied, There will always be those who object, we just need enough, and on a forum that can create a false impression of % for and against. In addition there will be many, who when they see some momentum and something happening, will jump on board.

Yes it's a tough ask to make it all happen but better to try than not at all.
"Waiting for something to happen" You're over £4m in debt, In your lowest ever league position with only an outside chance of getting promoted, Dwindling crowds and no matter what Osborne says, Trying to keep TUFC full time in the NLS for another season is going to be difficult and rack up even more debt. I think you should say to the TUST "Something has happened" and if they dont get their collective arses in gear it will be too late, I'm forever grateful in 2003 we didn't end up as an "AFC Exeter" we stayed as Exeter City and not a phoenix club somewhere in the Western League.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
"Waiting for something to happen" You're over £4m in debt, In your lowest ever league position with only an outside chance of getting promoted, Dwindling crowds and no matter what Osborne says, Trying to keep TUFC full time in the NLS for another season is going to be difficult and rack up even more debt. I think you should say to the TUST "Something has happened" and if they dont get their collective arses in gear it will be too late, I'm forever grateful in 2003 we didn't end up as an "AFC Exeter" we stayed as Exeter City and not a phoenix club somewhere in the Western League.
Unlike us the majority shareholder there isn't going to hand over the club (and £4m debt) for £30k.

Start the phoenix club now I say. So long as the council stay resolute that they won't sell up and if the phoenix club can attract enough support then they could be moving into Plainmoor themselves in a few years.