• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

2024 Summer Transfer Window

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder how quick we'll see the retained list? We're normally quite slow, but a number of decisions have already been made so maybe we could see it this week.
Most news has either been announced already, won't be resolved for a while yet or can be easily guessed so shouldn't be too many surprises in the retained list. Harry Lee is probably one of the few players about which there is much intrigue and uncertainty. I also can't see Gary being publicly critical of players who are leaving in the same way his predecessor occasionally did.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
gnh you seem very keen to defend sausage roll are you related or summit. I do believe he had previous contcts but alas sausage lost his contact about six months ago hence why he keeps us all entertained with the stuff that's already been widely touted
SJ, hardly defending, he just likes to regurgitate historical statements he might have made. As I mentioned when he announced HK was going in Jan, HK had already made that decision 6 months earlier, and when it was announced surely it was meant to be for that window not this. The bloke is a plank, and no I'm not related and no I don't believe that I am defending him.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Most news has either been announced already, won't be resolved for a while yet or can be easily guessed so shouldn't be too many surprises in the retained list. Harry Lee is probably one of the few players about which there is much intrigue and uncertainty. I also can't see Gary being publicly critical of players who are leaving in the same way his predecessor occasionally did.
As you say this is probably going to be the quietest retained list we have ever known with only Harry Lee and some of the younger pro's to be decided. Kyle Taylor hasn't ever been in GC's plans and it would be a major surprise if Gary Woods stays. Beyond those two it only leaves Caleb Watts and Tom Carroll to decide on

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
As you say this is probably going to be the quietest retained list we have ever known with only Harry Lee and some of the younger pro's to be decided. Kyle Taylor hasn't ever been in GC's plans and it would be a major surprise if Gary Woods stays. Beyond those two it only leaves Caleb Watts and Tom Carroll to decide on
Watt's it is our option from memory, I Would like Carroll to stay for next season, but depends on whether now he has proven fitness, he tries to find one more payday so to speak and a larger length contract

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Watt's it is our option from memory, I Would like Carroll to stay for next season, but depends on whether now he has proven fitness, he tries to find one more payday so to speak and a larger length contract
I would imagine Gary will offer TC a contract possibly even a two year deal. However, I suspect TC will want to see what else is available and partcularly something more suited location wise to his family unless of course they fancy relocating for the lifestyle. I would say it's less than a 50 per cent chance of him staying

Boyo

I would imagine Gary will offer TC a contract possibly even a two year deal. However, I suspect TC will want to see what else is available and partcularly something more suited location wise to his family unless of course they fancy relocating for the lifestyle. I would say it's less than a 50 per cent chance of him staying
Carroll is integral to the way GC wants to play, so I'd be amazed if a contract offer has not been made. Whether Carroll signs it, who knows?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Carroll is integral to the way GC wants to play, so I'd be amazed if a contract offer has not been made. Whether Carroll signs it, who knows?
Agreed on both! I cannot see us not offering a deal, it is whether he takes it or not, Would prefer him to stay if possible

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Announce Demi..

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm surprised Carroll isn't sorted already and also surprised people think he'll have a lot of tempting offers elsewhere. You never know on the specifics of peoples situations etc, but strikes me that GC really rates Carroll and while I've been on the pro side in the endless Carroll debate, I don't think he's stood out in the way that there'll be lots of big clubs ready to throw money at him. Imagine if he leaves it'll be sideways or downwards.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
That's right. I'd guess Carroll will be offered something but want to see what else is available to him. Early days, bearing in mind there are 12 EFL clubs who still don't know what division they will be playing in next season.

Younger professionals will be interesting. For his useful graphics on another thread,Ryan has assumed that all the first year professionals are on 2 year deals. We'll soon find out whether that is right. GC has in recent times name checked Ed James (already contracted to 2026) and Pedro Borges plus (I think) Mitch Beardmore - they are in poll position, possibly already under contract already. I haven't heard GC utter the names Harrison King, Gabe Billington or Joe O'Connor...or even Harry Lee. So I wonder/worry about those.

Bizarre decision to announce Tom Dean's pro contract over the tannoy on Saturday? Good to know, but inevitably raises the question re others in that year group such as Alfie Cunningham.