• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

‘Her Game Too’ Exeter City v Newport County Matchday Thread

CraigECFC

Strange game today. Newport looked one of the worst teams ive seen at the park this season. Jay's goal just illustrated that they where there for the taking.

For me, Dawson was at fault for both goals. But, defenders needed to be much closer to the goalscorers.

Ridiculous to me why Taylor chose to make the subs when he did, having just scored to bring moment our way, it changes almost immediately.
Agreed, wasn't sure about the subs. I thought the formation we started with was just starting to work when we scored. I get he probably planned if for if we didn't score but as we just scored it seemed a strange time to do it. Personally would've kept things the same, got Caprice on for Daniel & Coley on for Edwards.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm just telling it as I saw it. I had it backed up at half time by Rosencrantz with his view from The Stagecoach (and where he sits he would have pretty a straight view from behind the shot). He tells me not only did it dipped late, it swerved late also. It's not the sort of movement you expect that late in a shot. If the same movement had been caused by a deflection that close to him, you wouldn't say a word.
Not buying it.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
When start shifting the ball earlier and sharper into the channels for Nombe to run on to then we'll start turning teams over properly. I lost count of the amount of times there was an opportunity to get Nombe on his bike with a pass down the inside channels. But instead we wait........... and we wait............ and the opportunity has gone and we end up playing the ball backwards or sideways ten to fifteen yards and have to start again. When we had Bowman up front I could understand us being a little picky with our forward passing but Nombe has more than enough pace and strength to make the most of those sorts of situations.
You're right. There's not enough urgency in our play.

But there's also too much sloppiness - passes going astray, poor touches. It looks like a general lack of concentration. That slows us down too.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
1st goal looked offside 2nd Dawson should have got his body behind it instead of trying to catch it.
We scored 2 very good goals. However the midfield never seemed to see the runs of our forwards.

grecIAN Harris

Not buying it.
You don't have to but if two of us saw it in different parts of the ground. You know I'm prone to calling a keeper out if I think he's c0cked up and Rosie is usually pretty even keel with what he sees.

STURTZ

Liked the formation but not the team.

Daniel showed why Burton were keen to lose him. Dawson should wear a cap. Couldn't believe Caprice is still used on the left. Josh Key isn't playing well at right back. Brown needs to push himself harder. We had loads of chances to win that but failed with the final pass too often.

grecIAN Harris

Liked the formation but not the team.

Daniel showed why Burton were keen to lose him. Dawson should wear a cap. Couldn't believe Caprice is still used on the left. Josh Key isn't playing well at right back. Brown needs to push himself harder. We had loads of chances to win that but failed with the final pass too often.
That last line suggests we actually played the final pass when the reality is that we failed to attempt to play the final pass. I'd be tearing my hair out (what's left of it🙄) if I was Sam Nombe.

ExmouthMart

Did I hear the dreaded ‘physicality’ and ‘he hasn’t got the legs anymore’ in Taylors post match interview.

grecIAN Harris

1st goal looked offside 2nd Dawson should have got his body behind it instead of trying to catch it.
We scored 2 very good goals. However the midfield never seemed to see the runs of our forwards.
Whilst we're on keeper slating, what the hell was Day doing in the Newport goal for Jays goal.

manc grecian

Dawson should've saved both. Looked like he got caught in two minds between parrying it and catching it.

Thought the subs were made too soon after the second equaliser and they killed the momentum.

We played some lovely stuff in patches but too often there wasn't enough tempo to our play. Daniel was solid and would probably look better at wing back.

Nombe or Dieng for MOM