• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Probability Thread 2024 … or … Putting a number to doomed!

I trust Fujitsu haven't been allowed anywhere near the algorithms being used.
Think that's classified:oops:

@Grecian-on-Tyne Is there somewhere we can see the % likelihood of results on each game in your model?
Sorry, No. There is not a fixed percentage for each match.

Quick overview of how the model works:
Every team has a rating calculated from their home and away strength based of season & current form.
Then for each of the 10,000 simulations run each teams' rating is adjusted up or down, usually by a small adjustment, but sometimes much larger.
Then for each remaining fixture a home/draw/away percentage is applied based on both teams adjusted rating & result assigned based on percentages. So the % used will differ in each of the 10,000 runs.

The model has been refined after extensive testing against historical seasons (since 1998/9), to find the best mix of Season form / Current form & rating adjustment + some other considerations I've not touch on it this quick overview.

1706560706012.png
Relegation now at 12.8% ... what a couple of wins does :)

Nigel E

Just dragging this up to the top.

After yesterday, despite the disappointing result, our risk of relegation remained hovering around the 10% mark. Though, our chances of finishing in the top half reduced somewhat.

Just to repeat, all those teams with games in hand are largely playing against each other, they can't all win, poor teams with a point a game after 30-odd matches are likely to carry on averaging a point a game. And so on.

Probably three more wins (or two wins and a clutch of draws) to stay up.

After last nights results + Reading's additional two points deduction, City's relegation percentage has now dipped to below 10% (9.6%)

1709133300392.png

https://www.probs4.club/lge/lge1#LOOT-4

With Charlton's there is a whole host of teams that could occupy that 4th place.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
After last nights results + Reading's additional two points deduction, City's relegation percentage has now dipped to below 10% (9.6%)

View attachment 14906

https://www.probs4.club/lge/lge1#LOOT-4
Funny how it doesn't feel like we have a less than 10 per cent chance of relegation

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
So our remaining games are against the teams in the following positions:

An even spread, but sadly apart from maybe Northampton they are all likely to be playing for something!

Funny how it doesn't feel like we have a less than 10 per cent chance of relegation
Can think of three reasons ...
1. My model is crap
2. You're a pessimist.
3. Historically our current position 40pts from 35 has seen a bottom four finish around 22% of the time. It just the cluster of teams below us makes it more likely the points needed to survey is a few less than average. https://www.probs4.club/team/ExeterCity#TPaP
1709157203454.png

the observation in post #4 is still true with the points for relegation/survival has hardly changed

1709157814533.png

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can think of three reasons ...
1. My model is crap
2. You're a pessimist.
3. Historically our current position 40pts from 35 has seen a bottom four finish around 22% of the time. It just the cluster of teams below us makes it more likely the points needed to survey is a few less than average. https://www.probs4.club/team/ExeterCity#TPaP
View attachment 14908

the observation in post #4 is still true with the points for relegation/survival has hardly changed

View attachment 14909
I thought we were all pessimists on here ........

Nigel E

It just the cluster of teams below us makes it more likely the points needed to survey is a few less than average.
Think this is the point. For it to require more than 49-ish points to stay up, you'd be asking about 7 or 8 sides to outperform their season so far. That could happen, but isn't very likely. So I suppose the probability reflects the likelihood of us getting fewer than about 8 points from 11 matches.

The problem of course is that our recent history shows that we have a higher capability than others to go on an absolutely stinking run of results. I'm not sure how easy it is to model that.