• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

JGrecian23

Clearly. We all feel our Gary has his limitations but to even contemplate the idea that the Chipnickers Gary is an upgrade is beyond ridiculous .....
Tbf whilst it was tongue in cheek, we actually couldn't do much worse with anyone else. We literally lose nearly evert game and don't score any goals.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Clearly. We all feel our Gary has his limitations but to even contemplate the idea that the Chipnickers Gary is an upgrade is beyond ridiculous .....
is it? he’s managed over 1000 games has a wealth of experience and has a career win % of 40%

Caldwells is 32%…..

I’m not saying i’d want Gary Johnson as our manager but to suggest it’s ridiculous i’m not so convinced by.

DB9

Gary Johnson is in The NLS for a reason, He was good back in the day and if he still had ambition he'd had another job in NL or L2/1. He did do well for Yeovil getting them to The Championship but it was never going to last them being there, His stock was high then, Not now. I don't want to swap one Gary for another thanks.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Gary Johnson is in The NLS for a reason, He was good back in the day and if he still had ambition he'd had another job in NL or L2/1. He did do well for Yeovil getting them to The Championship but it was never going to last them being there, His stock was high then, Not now. I don't want to swap one Gary for another thanks.
me neither , but to say it’s beyond ridiculous i find strange given his record , his knowledge of the area and experience.

Mid Devon Grecian

Not even Gary Rowett😉

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not even Gary Rowett😉
Aah that Gary is perfectly acceptable thanks and one where his best days werent 20 years ago

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
At least one club in NLS in a worse position than Torks - perhaps our resident man on the streets of Taunton can give us his view @Bridgy 81

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67932973

Bridgy 81

At least one club in NLS in a worse position than Torks - perhaps our resident man on the streets of Taunton can give us his view @Bridgy 81

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67932973
I don’t follow Taunton Town that closely but I do know they’ve been struggling of late.
It’s a shame because since last season they’ve been playing at their highest level ever, as far as I’m aware.
Their fortunes have been on the up since Kevin Sturmey became Chairman and CEO a few years ago.
He’s an old school contemporary of mine so he’s bound to know what he’s doing!
But Taunton isn’t and never really has been a big football town.
Investment into it for decades (from an outside perspective) appears to have been minimal in a relative sense.
Their stadium has hardly changed since I was a junior season ticket holder there in the early 70s.
Unfortunately coinciding with their promotion to NLS their pitch has been giving them trouble too.
Last season, their first in NLS, was going well for them until numerous weather related postponements coupled with cup runs created a horrendous fixture backlog which ultimately caught up with them.
This season they haven’t had cup success (so have lost that additional income) but have continued to have a lot of weather related postponements, including the very lucrative local derbies over the festive period.
This, I think, has been problematic for them financially, hence several first team players having to be released.
I noticed they’ve had some work undertaken recently to improve the drainage of their pitch, then guess what?
Their home match against Slough this evening has been postponed because it’s frozen.
They’re only just above the relegation zone, albeit with a points cushion and tonnes of games in hand.
Hopefully they’ll pull clear, survive the season and go again next.

Grecian68

Their fortunes have been on the up since Kevin Sturmey became Chairman and CEO a few years ago.
He’s an old school contemporary of mine so he’s bound to know what he’s doing!
My understanding is that he doesn’t, he doesn’t seem to want to move with the times, Taunton has a large Japanese following because of Ben Mabley, but he doesn’t seem interested in tapping into that market.
What they need is a new investor, but as Bridgy81 says, Taunton’s rugby and cricket teams are bigger, and higher up the pyramid.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Stadium plan statement. Progress?