• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The BBC

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
No I don’t.
Men’s football is just one part of the discussion. BTW have you decided if black over representation on TV “irks” you yet?
Nope, not decided yet. Partly because I don't think it's as simple as the % of black presenters on TV as a whole needing to exactly mirror the % of black people in the population, football coverage being the most obvious point.

Partly because I'm more comfortable with a minority being over-represented, but still a minority, than not being represented at all (or significantly underrepresented).

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree.
Then why are black people over represented?
Are they just better?
Are they over represented? I'd like to see figures to back it up rather than gut feeling.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are they over represented? I'd like to see figures to back it up rather than gut feeling.
Check back over the last few pages. There is evidence of it. But think of the proportion of sport TV coverage compared to the prevalence of sport in 'real life' and it might go a fair way to explaining.

Grecian2K

One only has to look at the Eurovision Song Contest to witness the BBC anti-Britsh sentiment writ large.
I mean, allowing all those johnny-foreigners to gang up each year against the plucky lone Brit
The government should move it to GB News as the Brave British Song Contest - and even then Scottish and Welsh contestants are only permitted by special invitation.
And every act must finish with a verse of Land Of Hope And Glory.

Mr Jinx

What's your name - BB or art? Lolz

The thing is with those boys...even if you do pull up some linakge - they then get busy rubbishing it.

You just can't win. Shrug emoji thing.

So unless the Guardian says so, it can't be true.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
What's your name - BB or art? Lolz

The thing is with those boys...even if you do pull up some linakge - they then get busy rubbishing it.

You just can't win. Shrug emoji thing.

So unless the Guardian says so, it can't be true.
You really only read what you want to read, don't you Mr Jinx.

I asked for some data, Tavy provided it, I accepted it. We then discussed (and disagreed on) the reasons that data might be the way it is. All very civilised and, ya know, kind of how debate and discussion works? I enjoy discussing with Tavy because, despite having a very different view on many things, he doesn't make stuff up. I guess that's why he doesn't seem to take offence at requests for data/source etc. Shame it can't be said for everyone on here.

Last edited:

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
You really only read what you want to read, don't you Mr Jinx.

I asked for some data, Tavy provided it, I accepted it. We then discussed (and disagreed on) the reasons that data might be the way it is. All very civilised and, ya know, kind of how debate and discussion works? I enjoy discussing with Tavy because, despite having a very different view on many things, he doesn't make stuff up. I guess that's why he doesn't seem to take offence at requests for data/source etc. Shame it can't be said for everyone on here.
Edit: Tavy didn't provide the data, I did. And it backed up Tavy's claim.

angelic upstart

It's likely very difficult to tell. Because TV presenters will be different depending on what people are watching, Saturday night BBC TV is still largely white, because most people in the country are. Other programming will vary. I'd suspect that it would be mostly white people presenting a show on Heavy Metal, but I'd expect an Indian presenter to present a programme on Bhangra, or a Black presenter on a reggae show etc etc

We have an aging white population in the UK and a much larger group of minorities under 30 than previously and that's also worth noting. Details can be found here - https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/uk-population-by-ethnicity/demographics/age-groups/latest/#main-facts-and-figures

tavyred

Nope, not decided yet. Partly because I don't think it's as simple as the % of black presenters on TV as a whole needing to exactly mirror the % of black people in the population, football coverage being the most obvious point.

Partly because I'm more comfortable with a minority being over-represented, but still a minority, than not being represented at all (or significantly underrepresented).
It would be interesting to know the figures re. the representation for state educated working class white people. It would be rather typical of the middle class liberal elites who run the media to keep the door open for their own kind whilst patting themselves on the back for their efforts with working class black people. 🤷‍♂️

Grecian2K

It would be interesting to know the figures re. the representation for state educated working class white people.
Of course the same insinuation could never be levelled at the proprietors and presenters of the right wing media echo chambers could it? :rolleyes: