• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Manager

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
My expectations from a manager are. The added comments are obviously my opinion and done in order of importance for me personally.

1/ Get the best out of what you have consistently, play a way which fits the strengths of the team at your disposal and utilise your budget effectively (Play the hand given, not what you hoped was given). GC has failed pretty much since Dec 22 in this regard, despite bringing in some decent players, he rarely gets the best from our side either this season or last. The old adage of £1.50 from every pound spent feels as far off as it ever has been since the Man United match 20 odd years ago. This is the area GC needs to show the biggest personal improvement within. If you have a tough patch after previous success, then you get time in this area in my book, GC Has yet to have tangable success imho and the biggest reason why we should change our manager.

2/ Keep showing signs of forward progression for the club, so pathways from the youth system to the first team, enhancing as much value from those players as possible (In terms of effective playing time on the pitch and sale value). At the moment, I would say GC is lacking in this area, but there are probably a number of mitigating circumstances at play as well, but I expect assuming GC is here next season to see a lot of progression in this area, but feels like this isn't on his radar right now. So this at the moment requires considerable improvement.

3/ Get the Ethos of the club, engage in the community side and continue to support the off field improvements the club needs, even if this means a not getting the budget you feel you require. This is GC's biggest win area for me overall. You cannot really argue that he hasn't engaged with in this area brilliantly. The Jevani Brown sitatution I also felt he dealt with almost perfectly. Whether he supports a lower budget to improve other aspects of the club hasn't truly been tested yet, but a win is a win.

4/ Engage with the fans via the squad and personally. This aspect is hugely subjective and open to decent interpretation. But at the moment this is probably a decent sized loss. The comments are James Scott where not needed or nessacary as an example. The current side and GC doesn't have the level of fan engagement that MT had for example and this is a huge problem at a fan owned club. I would say huge work needed in this area fo GC and maybe because of the 100 day no win situation might be already lost. Even during the decent spell of Jan / Feb, fans still have been vocal in their displeasure, even if I think the booing of Aimson is beyond harsh etc.

5/ Do a bloody good presentation. GC is the king of that.

I personally don't dislike GC as a person, I just think he is the wrong person at the wrong time for us as a club. His tactical approach is solid as a rock shit and seeminly cannot be broken no matter what the evidence. I would personally remove him and start again.

Last edited:

We8Argyle

Bridgy - just watched the game to & listened to aftermatch discussion. Klopp admitted he won due to having a vibrant academy and not being afraid to use them - 8 ex academy players got medals today. Rednapp made the point that Inglethorpe has a lot to be thanked for in producing well rounded hard working men rather than just talent. So apart from using our academy I would add willingness to really listen to other backroom staff and use players in positions they have strengths in.
Finally it took me back to the good old days when we could see at least 5 x academy players in the match day squad at SJP - I really hope we can have a manager who has is sights firmly on that.
Red Square, do you understand how LFC’s academy works and how it differs from Exeters.

There’s a great picture from yesterday of all the ‘academy lads’ that are part of the first team squad.

Jayden Danns
Lewis Koumas
Jarell Quansah
Bobby Clark
Ben Doak
Conor Bradley
Harvey Elliot
Stefan Bajectic
James McConnell
Trey Nyoni

From that list of 10 names, only 3 of them came through the Liverpool Academy at under 13s (And one of those 3 was poached from another clubs academy, in ECFCs division at the time). The other 7 were purchased at the age of 15/16 years old from other teams academy under silly rules that make it far too easy for premier league clubs.

To use Jurgen Klopp subbing on some of the best youth talent acquired across the country and even Europe as some sort of stick to beat the club/trust with is just moronic.

tonykellowfan

Would be interesting to see GC's win rates compared to past ECFC managers.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
To get the team to do football good.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
We have been churning out league one players. People are expecting us to churn out Premier League ones like Ollie and Ethan.
My reply was purely in response to your post about there not being a comparison between Liverpool's and our academy, nothing else.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Make your own judgements.......
(this is from the website 'managerskills.com')

View attachment 14895

#
Those are leadership skills, as opposed to management skills. And they are essential

A good manager has to be a good leader as well. Technical coaching expertise is not enough (that's what you have coaches for). It's similar to the situation of having a technically gifted player who is a cnut in the dressing room. No amount of footballing flair and skill will make up for the cnutery.

Knowledge of football, how to win games, how to develop and adapt tactics should all be a given in any manager, though some will obviously be better than others. Good football managers will have the same skills and attributes as good leaders anywhere and less successful managers won't have them.

Average Joe

Red Square, do you understand how LFC’s academy works and how it differs from Exeters.

There’s a great picture from yesterday of all the ‘academy lads’ that are part of the first team squad.

Jayden Danns
Lewis Koumas
Jarell Quansah
Bobby Clark
Ben Doak
Conor Bradley
Harvey Elliot
Stefan Bajectic
James McConnell
Trey Nyoni

From that list of 10 names, only 3 of them came through the Liverpool Academy at under 13s (And one of those 3 was poached from another clubs academy, in ECFCs division at the time). The other 7 were purchased at the age of 15/16 years old from other teams academy under silly rules that make it far too easy for premier league clubs.

To use Jurgen Klopp subbing on some of the best youth talent acquired across the country and even Europe as some sort of stick to beat the club/trust with is just moronic.
The difference is Liverpool can keep and get rid of youth as they please. I bet my bottom dollar if we could keep all our youth we have produced in the last 10 years then we'd have a team that can compete in the Carabo cup and would easily be a top flight championship team

Any youth set up outside of the prem is incomparable to the set ups of the top 6 teams in England.

Radio Free Skaro

Isn't it? Theirs is a Premier League academy turning out players that play Premier League football. Our League One academy should be turning out players that play League One football.
Easy to say and difficult to do.

Radio Free Skaro

The difference is Liverpool can keep and get rid of youth as they please. I bet my bottom dollar if we could keep all our youth we have produced in the last 10 years then we'd have a team that can compete in the Carabo cup and would easily be a top flight championship team

Any youth set up outside of the prem is incomparable to the set ups of the top 6 teams in England.
Is it me or has this Liverpool Youth academy been overblown a tad?

They have won the least prestigious trophy in top flight football and done that despite resting many of their established stars or been forced to do that through injury,

More pertinent from my perspective is how many PL minutes have been filled by academy players this season? How many PL regular starters are actually from their academy ?

Leads

Lots of good stuff has already been said, there are certain things I don't think the manager should be doing such as attending board meetings. I think there should be some sort of separation or else it all becomes a bit too cosy or chummy and the board fail to then look at things objectively.