• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Manager

Bridgy 81

I’ve just watched Liverpool beat Chelsea with a 118th minute winner in the Carabao Cup Final.
Liverpool started the match with 8/9 first team players out and had to substitute another one injured early on.
Klopp still sent on three academy youngsters before the 90th minute and another in extra time.
Passion, pride and never knowing when you’re beaten.
That’s what a Manager looks like in my book.
Whichever club you support you have to say that he’s brilliant.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is that why you go, out of some ideal that you’re there to support the team? And you pay for this privilege too? Are you not bothered whether you’re entertained? Is a win secondary? Do you not want, after parting with your hard earned that you’ve grafted all week for, to see a decent game of football, a good performance, some goals and three points in the bag and the team climbing up the division? Is all of that really just a sideshow to supporting the team?

If so then yes, you are indeed a happy clapper, and if that’s all you think you‘re there for, then perhaps, much to your apparent amusement, you do deserve to be derided for it.
We're not watching Riverdance or the ballet where everything is preordained, but a sporting contest which is inherently unpredictable. Never a guarantee entertainment will result, and we all know that. Part of the enjoyment - I irregularly travel 250 miles to suffer it !

Whether it's Derby not getting out of 2nd gear, or Fleetwood 2nd half fighting for survival, the opposition is also a big factor in any resulting spectacle, or not. Watching Ipswich win at SJP last season was a privilege - disappointed in the result, but left feeling entertained.

Back on topic - and manager expectations. I only expect effort from his teams, as budget often determines ability at this level. Not overly bothered by what he wears, how passionate he is in the dugout, how he conducts his interviews or even where he lives. Couldn't give a stuff, apparently I'm also 'GC-in' ! :ROFLMAO:

Alistair20000

We're not watching Riverdance or the ballet where everything is preordained, but a sporting contest which is inherently unpredictable. Never a guarantee entertainment will result, and we all know that. Part of the enjoyment - I irregularly travel 250 miles to suffer it !

Whether it's Derby not getting out of 2nd gear, or Fleetwood 2nd half fighting for survival, the opposition is also a big factor in any resulting spectacle, or not. Watching Ipswich win at SJP last season was a privilege - disappointed in the result, but left feeling entertained.

Back on topic - and manager expectations. I only expect effort from his teams, as budget often determines ability at this level. Not overly bothered by what he wears, how passionate he is in the dugout, how he conducts his interviews or even where he lives. Couldn't give a stuff, apparently I'm also 'GC-in' ! :ROFLMAO:
Sorry you are irregular Elgers.

Try a diet like this.

Here to help

1708885698446.jpeg

sign of the chimes

I think what makes a good/successful manager is very much in the eye of the beholder, which is why discussions can become so emotive.

I want my team to win every much they participate in but overall would rather spend my Saturday afternoons and occasional Tuesday evenings being entertained, than watch attritional fare week after week. I get that football is not scientific and variables mean that it's unrealistic to expect a great game every time but I want to at least get the sense that my team is playing on the front foot, and with some real intent. Having spent the best part of four seasons relatively recently under a 'grind it out' manager my attendance only occurred under a sense of obligation - and that I'd be able to go back to the pub with my group after the game. This will probably sound churlish but I actually got to the point under that manager where when we scored late winners having played attritionally I'd often remain in my seat, such was my general state of ennui.

All that said, I know at least one of my group would rather win 1-0 every week playing that way if it ensured a promotion; so I guess the entertainment/leisure activity argument isn't for everyone.

lamrobhero

Football management is a mystery to me. I read Brian Clough's biography and was none the wiser. There is all sorts of discussion about football mangagers.

Maybe like other areas of management it is about being able to successfully "ride the wave". That is why managers that talk as if they "create the wave" are to be viewed with suspicion.

manc grecian

The alarm bells go off in my head when I hear that a manager has a philosophy.

I like a manager to play a brand of football that suits the players that he has available. Someone who doesn't over complicate things and someone who has the flexibility in his approach to adapt to different opposition, conditions and the players he has available.

I also think it's important, especially when you are one of the smaller teams in a division to create an environment where the players and fans are together. This includes the personality of the players that you sign.

grecIAN Harris

A decent manager is one that achieves what is expected. If he can do with a little bit of style and panache so much the better. For us in our current league status and what is around, top ten would be a bloody good season and everything from there down to staying up on a sliding scale.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’ve just watched Liverpool beat Chelsea with a 118th minute winner in the Carabao Cup Final.
Liverpool started the match with 8/9 first team players out and had to substitute another one injured early on.
Klopp still sent on three academy youngsters before the 90th minute and another in extra time.
Bridgy - just watched the game to & listened to aftermatch discussion. Klopp admitted he won due to having a vibrant academy and not being afraid to use them - 8 ex academy players got medals today. Rednapp made the point that Inglethorpe has a lot to be thanked for in producing well rounded hard working men rather than just talent. So apart from using our academy I would add willingness to really listen to other backroom staff and use players in positions they have strengths in.
Finally it took me back to the good old days when we could see at least 5 x academy players in the match day squad at SJP - I really hope we can have a manager who has is sights firmly on that.

milts

Well the Caldwell Out thread has become depressing circular repetitive and very boring.
Abit like his football then

JGrecian23

It was a hell of an effort from all of them. And to think Alex Inglephorpe had a huge part to play in that today.

Would love to see Caldwell going more Klopp than Pep.