• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

James Scott signs

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Many of our signings over the years have been of players who have suffered with injuries - Tom Carroll is another- and/or who represent risks/ gambles in other respects. I agree with GC that we did see glimpses of JS's talent, most notably at the start of this season, but ultimately the gamble failed.

I'm also quite sure that the reaction to Scott from the fans made life very difficult for both him and the Manager but where I disagree with GC is that JS did not give everything, probably because he couldn't/ was worried about getting injured again. I believe his worst injury was at Hull when he suffered serious ankle ligament damage which might explain his reluctance to jump and thereby have to land on said ankle.

I wish Scotty well and hope he comes good, but a move from us was the best for all concerned.
I think Scott did his best, I also think the fans were reasonably patient. It was a full calendar year (give or take a few days), that he was in the side clearly not making anything close to a reasonable contribution. I'm not advocating booing a man, but at what point does the manager bare some responsibility for constructing that situation. There isn't a different club where Scott would be given the benefit of the doubt after 11 months. Like it or not, that's the culture of the game.

Reactions: Ash

AndyR

I think Scott did his best, I also think the fans were reasonably patient. It was a full calendar year (give or take a few days), that he was in the side clearly not making anything close to a reasonable contribution. I'm not advocating booing a man, but at what point does the manager bare some responsibility for constructing that situation. There isn't a different club where Scott would be given the benefit of the doubt after 11 months. Like it or not, that's the culture of the game.
Agree with nearly all of that, i guess the one issue is what the definition is of "did his best". He may have done the best he was/is physically capable of, but if as a professional player he was physically or psychologically constrained from jumping for a ball for fear of reinjuring his ankle, he might be OK for 5 a side but isn't otherwise capable of doing the job. We rarely saw him jump, so couldn't really judge.

I'll certainly look on with interest as to how he gets on at St. Mirren.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
James Scott is of that age that the majority of people between 18-23 I find are sadly of the same mindset.

Entitled. Easily offended. Lazy. 0 work ethic.

Fans didn't hound you out mate. Fans were on your back not even because you were rubbish. We were on your back because you were rubbish whilst also placing little effort into the performances. If he broke a sweat and closed down, actually contributed towards the defensive phase of play, he'd still be here.

Every single player at this club has to put in 110%. You have to be WORLD class to get away with anything but that, at any club level.
So no coincidence that he plays well in a behind doors friendly and GC appreciates and comments positively on the effort he puts in on the training ground.

Really looking forward to seeing him succeed over the border.

Although from the Club’s viewpoint would have liked to have seen him loaned to somewhere like Yeovil to do as Sonny did regain his confidence and come back to us to help us to avoid relegation

Doug3101

I don't think there was any booing of JS at games, obviously you get a rather audible collective groan going round when there is a misplaced pace or bad miss.

That said, some things I've seen on social media have been pretty unkind. I would think that players are probably told not to be like the proverbial moth to the flame when it comes to online discussions.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think there was any booing of JS at games, obviously you get a rather audible collective groan going round when there is a misplaced pace or bad miss.

That said, some things I've seen on social media have been pretty unkind. I would think that players are probably told not to be like the proverbial moth to the flame when it comes to online discussions.
oh come on I have heard everything from individual and collective groans as well as dogs abuse directly from individuals and on more than a number of times sections of the crowd. But that isn't booing in your thought process so it's all something about nothing I guess? Move on then eh?

Bridgy 81

I haven’t read all this thread but just in case it hasn’t already been mentioned and you fancy giving Ipswich v Maidstone a swerve tomorrow St Mirren are home to Rangers in the Scottish Premiership at 12.30.
If you have it the match is live on Sky.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Watch him score the winner as St Mirren shock Rangers.

Nobody wants to see or hear people get booed, regardless of the level.

If any of us walked into the office or building site we worked at and was booed we would be upset & disappointed Im sure and most likely would be affected mentally.

Does that make it right at football? probably not. will it ever change ? definitely not.

JayPob94

So no coincidence that he plays well in a behind doors friendly and GC appreciates and comments positively on the effort he puts in on the training ground.

Really looking forward to seeing him succeed over the border.

Although from the Club’s viewpoint would have liked to have seen him loaned to somewhere like Yeovil to do as Sonny did regain his confidence and come back to us to help us to avoid relegation

St Mirren are atrocious. He will not do well up here.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Plenty of chances to prove himself but just couldn’t show any consistency or signs of improvement hence why he went from Million pound plus player, to us and now back to obscurity. Shame but obviously got other issues as well. Bit rich of Caldwell to say he was hounded out by the fans. You react to what you see. Shame he can’t see that about his own approach to tactics…….
He didn't say this. Why do people make shit up.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
He didn't say this. Why do people make shit up.
Because they are fundamentally brain dead.