• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Next Exeter City First Team Manager Thread

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just feel he’d do a job, knows the club well, etc.
Had a few seasons experience as an assistant.. Would also fit the wage bill of a manager at the club!
Cheap and played for us isnt enough, I don't think. But if people with more inside knowledge reckon he's got what it takes then I'm happy. Same as it was with Taylor.

Grecianman135

Just feel he’d do a job, knows the club well, etc.
Had a few seasons experience as an assistant.. Would also fit the wage bill of a manager at the club!
Not knocking the bloke at all but he was Tully's number two at Truro city I just don't think he fancies being head coach and although probably a realistic appointment cheap isn't always best.

I think we need somebody with at least some experience,even if similar to Tisdale at non league.

Reactions: Ash

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not knocking the bloke at all but he was Tully's number two at Truro city I just don't think he fancied being head coach
Who says he comes back as No1 - what about Tully or Nicho with Wayne as a No 2 ?
UTC

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Who says he comes back as No1 - what about Tully or Nicho with Wayne as a No 2 ?
UTC
Are we just listing people who've played for us and/or been part of the coaching staff already? Tully and Wayne Carlisle? I'm not knocking them as individuals, but what is it about their CV that is attractive, I'm not getting it.

Grecianman135

UTC
I think the prospect of him returning is determined by Taylor's next move,we'd be a last resort or an easy paycheck and I do feel we can cast our net further 👍

But only time will tell.

Grecianman135

Are we just listing people who've played for us and/or been part of the coaching staff already? Tully and Wayne Carlisle? I'm not knocking them as individuals, but what is it about their CV that is attractive, I'm not getting it.
To be fair Caldwell didn't exactly set the world on fire, a lot with him was the fact he somehow has won a league title 👍

I think we can cast our net further,there's plenty of hungry lower league managers waiting for a break.

But I honestly can't see change 👍
The board will sit with him and say what a good job he's been doing and what they can do to support him and to ignore those nasty bullies on Exeweb..

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
To be fair Caldwell didn't exactly set the world on fire, a lot with him was the fact he somehow has won a league title 👍

I think we can cast our net further,there's plenty of hungry lower league managers waiting for a break.

The board will sit with him and say what a good job he's been doing and what they can do to support him and to ignore those nasty bullies on Exeweb..
Matter of time unless it picks up. Might come later than you want, but the hammer will drop if we keep losing.

Also winning league one is not some irrelevant nonsense. He won league one.

Grecianman135

Matter of time unless it picks up. Might come later than you want, but the hammer will drop if we keep losing.

Also winning league one is not some irrelevant nonsense. He won league one.
I really don't know how he managed to win a title then had a dramatic capitulation..

I do feel that was one of the reasons he got the job as he's got that in the bank,he speaks well,was a well respected player,and bought into the ethos,so fair play on all that but..

He's so one dimensional,and we play the worst football at times under him,even Tisdale's crab football was no comparison to what we've got now..

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster

Sadly following statement in Nick Hawker's letter in ecirculated Trust AGM pack (before 3:0 Fleetwood hammering) shows where at least one of the controlling minds were on 8 Nov 23 (before 3:0 Fleetwood hammering) :-

"I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking, when we had first sight of the fixtures and in particular those at the end of the season, that every part of the business – Supporters’ Trust, Club, and team - would need to step up. I believe we did. Of course, it was made less comfortable by Matt Taylor leaving but showed a sense of our ambition that we appointed a manager who ‘knew what it took’ to get promoted out of this league."

Fatal last words ?
UTC

Grecianman135

Sadly following statement in Nick Hawker's letter in ecirculated Trust AGM pack (before 3:0 Fleetwood hammering) shows where at least one of the controlling minds were on 8 Nov 23 (before 3:0 Fleetwood hammering) :-

"I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking, when we had first sight of the fixtures and in particular those at the end of the season, that every part of the business – Supporters’ Trust, Club, and team - would need to step up. I believe we did. Of course, it was made less comfortable by Matt Taylor leaving but showed a sense of our ambition that we appointed a manager who ‘knew what it took’ to get promoted out of this league."

Fatal last words ?
UTC
Maybe he did win a title, but win percentage should of been taken into account...and he was probably the cheapest option of those available..

And he seems a proper chap so that's always an aspect the club need to consider when appointing managers... ;)