• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

Another clean sheet for Pym (that is 6 so far this season)

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sparkes with the assist for Portsmouths 98th minute winner.....I was too slow with that one.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sparkes with the assist for Portsmouths 98th minute winner.....I was too slow with that one.
He has done far better than many of us expected

ExmouthMart

But not in the eyes of Caldwell and Taylor before him.

Bridgy 81

I’m loving how well Jack is doing at Portsmouth.
As has been said, it was probably best for him and us to let him go, but I’m really pleased he’s on it with Pompey.

sign of the chimes

Another assist for Jacks Sparkes to win the match in 98th minute to take Portsmouth top. On from the start
I'm not long back and with a sore throat. Sparkes was one of our stand-out performers tonight - even before the assist for the very late winner (something particularly joyful about doing Wycombe that way in the 98th minute as I'm sure most will appreciate). His signing is making increasing sense and tonight's performance kind of epitomised it. We get a lot of sides who set up to stifle us, particularly at Fratton Park - he didn't have masses of defending to do tonight but was a constant menace with both his delivery, but also - on occasion - just the threat/potential of it, which really seemed to have Wycombe on the back foot a bit.

Realistically he's still second choice at left-back; and when Ogilvie is back fit I suspect he might not look so accomplished against the best sides in the division - but he certainly seems to be enhancing his reputation so far.

In the short to medium term he might find he gets more minutes in a more advanced role; given injuries elsewhere in our squad.

Last edited:

Bridgy 81

I'm not long back and with a sore throat. Sparkes was one of our stand-out performers tonight - even before the assist for the very late winner (something particularly joyful about doing Wycombe that way in the 98th minute as I'm sure most will appreciate). His signing is making increasing sense and tonight's performance kind of epitomised it. We get a lot of sides who set up to stifle us, particularly at Fratton Park - he didn't have masses of defending to do tonight but was a constant menace with both his delivery, but also - on occasion - just the threat/potential of it, which really seemed to have Wycombe on the back foot a bit.

Realistically he's still second choice at left-back; and when Ogilvie is back fit I suspect he might not look so accomplished against the best sides in the division - but he certainly seems to be enhancing his reputation so far.

In the short to medium term he might find he gets more minutes in a more advanced role; given injuries elsewhere in our squad.
Your gain, is our loss.
Good luck to Jack.

jimmy

I guess this is why I should not be a football coach..as I was part of the 'too slow for League One' brigade regarding Sparkes.

Someone spotted his potential though and he has clearly backed himself and not sulked that he became out of favour here. Fair play.

I am sure he is great value for Pompey, signed on a free and wouldn't demand too high a salary..
Your gain, is our loss.
Good luck to Jack.

Bat Fastard

Not surprised in the slightest, quality player at this level. Was bemused when we let him go

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I guess this is why I should not be a football coach..as I was part of the 'too slow for League One' brigade regarding Sparkes.

Someone spotted his potential though and he has clearly backed himself and not sulked that he became out of favour here. Fair play.

I am sure he is great value for Pompey, signed on a free and wouldn't demand too high a salary..
It wasn’t too slow for League One, it was too slow for Gary’s style of football, he’s not a rampaging wingback

He is an excellent league 2 player so isn’t and hasn’t ever embarrassed himself at this level