• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained List 2022/23

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ipswich tore the players of lots of teams new ones.
I get that, we should just use the whole season when determining if a player is strong enough for us to want to retain them, not an end of season game against one of the worst teams in the division. I was using Ipswich as the obvious counter-balance given that it was only a week ago.

denzel

Given our issues with injuries towards the end of the season ought we be looking for an S and C coach??

Or is it down to GC and his tough training...

Cowshed Grecian

I noted on the club's FB page on Sunday that behind Stanno Grounds was my MOM. I'd actually envisage keeping him on for another season to maybe play at the base of the midfield, he gave us such calm assurance on Sunday.
No offence to a 35 year old Grounds, but I really hope we are not signing him on to play at the base of our midfield in L1 next season 🤣 I think I would of looked good playing against Morecambe's attackers.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I get that, we should just use the whole season when determining if a player is strong enough for us to want to retain them, not an end of season game against one of the worst teams in the division. I was using Ipswich as the obvious counter-balance given that it was only a week ago.
Sure, I get that.

However, the average points attained by L1 clubs this season was just over 63, which places the average side in the division quite a bit closer to Morecambe than to Ipswich. Therefore it stands to reason that performances against the likes of Morecambe are less of an outlier than performances against the likes of Ipswich.

C j phill

No offence to a 35 year old Grounds, but I really hope we are not signing him on to play at the base of our midfield in L1 next season 🤣 I think I would of looked good playing against Morecambe's attackers.
That position seems to be earmarked for currently injured, but offered a contract, 34 year old Kevin McDonald.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
IIRC the same was said by some about Rob Edwards. He didn't do so badly for us, scoring the goal that took us back into League 2 in 2008 aged 35 and continued for 3 more seasons.

Grounds may not have great pace but he reads the game better than any of our other defenders and is worth his hire.

Retain.

Grecianman135

IIRC the same was said by some about Rob Edwards. He didn't do so badly for us, scoring the goal that took us back into League 2 in 2008 aged 35 and continued for 3 more seasons.

Grounds may not have great pace but he reads the game better than any of our other defenders and is worth his hire.

Retain.
Probably wouldn't be a bad coach either, I agree retain 👍

andrew p long

How do we know? Exeweb rumours?
Not Exeweb rumours. Contract offers to Key,Collins and McDonald all confirmed by the club. Here's the March report of what the club said re Collins and Key, together with a quote from Caldwell re the offers to Key and Collins.

Grecianpasty

The Grounds situation is an interesting one. He helps with ball retention against the lesser teams, as shown against Morecambe. Against the bigger teams, No chance.

If we're looking to progress I would rather his wages on someone else.

Memphis09

I'm confident you can add Woods and Grounds to the 'offered contracts' list.
Hope not