• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Burton Albion V Exeter City Match Day Thread.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
It is worth remembering that Matt Taylor was not exactly amazing when he first became our manager.

He learnt on the job and in general improved year on year.

Caldwell has done a few strange things, but as others have said I am willing to give him time.
Taylor hadn't managed before

Red red

I think as City fans we should be happy to be mid table as we speak. Let’s use some context. Taylor left us mid table he took all his back room staff with him. Mid season. Caldwell has come on to retry a steady the ship bring in his people and bring in some new players. If we finish mid table that is a bloody good season for us and we should be happy. Saying that I don’t understand some of his thinking but let’s roll with. Let’s hope we finish mid table and he can bring some more quality in the preseason to come. If and it’s a big if it doesn’t work gong into 23/24 then we can judge. But let’s all back City as best we can until the end of the season get behind Caldwell and judge next season. He deserves that from us. Taylor left and all these contracts are up and he knew that. Come on City

tonykellowfan

Taylor hadn't managed before
Taylor was our U23 manager and knew the club and the players inside out. He had managed many of the first team already in the youth set up.

manc grecian

Taylor was our U23 manager and knew the club and the players inside out. He had managed many of the first team already in the youth set up.
All I'm saying is that people were likely to be more patient with Taylor because it was his first job in proper football. We were sold an experienced league one manager so patience might not be so generous.

Avening Posse

Perfectly sums up why I have fallen out love with football Jim. It doesn't matter what level you watch as most games follow the same pattern, the issue is always execution, basic skills like taking a corner or free kick that actually ends up in the danger zone. I am old school and can't stand tiki taka football, I want to see the ball got forward quickly and chances created from having men in the box. My biggest concern though is the quality of shooting, every game I watch nowaday's I am shouting in frustration as another player wafts his foot at the ball and sends it into the stand, it seems that shooting has become a forgotten art. With 72% possession yesterday you would think the the Burton goalie had had a busy afternoon, but how many saves did he have to make make? I have only seen 3 games this season and we have only scored once in those games, the worrying thing is that we barely created any worthwhile chances in those games. I know we can't go back, but give me 1983 anytime.

I am done now, I have seen my last Grecian game (probably) as I will be leaving for pastures new in a few weeks time to follow my heart. Football will no longer be the thing that fills my weekend.

Over the years, I have faced lot's of baffled looks when I tell people that I am a Grecian. I am not from the area and have no connection except that they were the team I chose to support. I guess that I must have done something bad in a past life to be saddled with that burden. I wouldn't have missed it though- it was sure character building!
I’m not sure where pastures new is for you, but just to forewarn you, I moved to Australia 6 years ago and am as obsessed as ever 😀. I probably look at Exeweb every day, watch matches on Ifollow and have even managed to talk my beloved (not really a football fan) to enter into a 2 person guess the score competition with me each week where we have a complex points system. Or maybe it’s just me………

STURTZ

Out of curiousity, this is a question to all,

Based on what we've seen so far. What is the statistic or statistics I should be seeing that gives everyone such hope in GC?
I support him because he's our chosen manager and will be for at least another year whether we win or lose.

Up until transfer day he showed he was his own man and elected to see what his players were capable of, no matter what anybody else says, highly plausible in my book.

On transfer day 10 days ago he was widely acknowledged to have been very successful in bringing players in, he's now once again trying out his new players and what they might achieve.

Through no fault of his own he has now lost his key player and we have narrowly lost two games.

For me he still has yet to put a foot wrong and retains my faith and support.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm with Sturtz on this. Summed up my thoughts very well.

fred binneys head

#TeamSturtz

Red faced

Our failure with crosses and dead ball delivery has been an issue for many seasons, not just recent weeks/months
Not just recent weeks no, I didn't specify that but I don't recall it seeming to be anywhere near as bad last season. We had diabetes, diabate, Stubbs , Jay- all getting in the end of a few. The crossing has been particularly bad this season

Last edited:

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure Diabate and Diabetes would work as a pairing at the back. I'm not sweet on that idea