• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St. James Park - Championship Ground

Boyo

6 months into L1 and the talk is being a Championship team! I’m all for ambition, but lets come back down to earth and be slightly realistic. Maintaining ourselves as a L1 club for 4/5 years should be the aim here. Yes, it’s frustrating we are selling out and ‘losing’ out on additional funds, but the next step is a HUGE step that liked mentioned on here (Bristol City example). Established Championship teams are falling quicker than ever, just look at how many are sat in our League and even in L2, even some ex Prem sides from years gone by.

Let’s continue this ‘golden period’ and embrace it, like others have mentioned, we’ve never reached Championship status in our 120 year history, lets just all slow down a bit. UTC
Staying in L1 is our ambition. The next few seasons it will probably get harder, as those players in our squad who are on L2 wages will disappear or expect significant increases. Just to finish mid-table is therefore going to cost us more each season. Without obvious new income streams it’s going to increasingly become more difficult.
The championship is a pipe dream.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another home sell-out, this time against bottom team FGR. Go figure. 🤷‍♂️
This has the potential to become a thorny issue for those at the club who’s job it is to grow the club and realise its full potential.
On the face of it a bun fight for tickets every home game is a success story, but it also highlights a new problem that perhaps we are outgrowing our beloved SJP as it is currently configured.
Exeter and the surrounding areas are growing population wise and it may become an almost dereliction of duty if there aren’t discussions at the club where all options aren’t discussed.
I can see a situation in the close season where to escape the aforementioned bun fight for tickets we sell a very large amount of season tickets and the problem is heightened further next season. I know someone who bought a ST for the BB and has missed a good half a dozen home games. All lost income.
The club acknowledging yesterday that they tried to sell home fans tickets for the away end against FGR, but couldn’t manage it, speaks volumes.
Time for an updated Drivers-Jonas report?

Last edited:

denzel

I know someone who bought a ST for the BB and has missed a good half a dozen home games. All lost income.
I'm sure Spoonz will confirm that if you let the club know you won't be using your ST at a game, they can resell it and so the club benefits twice.

And as for the rest of your post, yes it is acknowledged that we are selling out most games at the moment, but the city's population hasn't changed much since this time last year, when we getting 4000, or even earlier this season, when there was plenty of space at games.

tavyred

I'm sure Spoonz will confirm that if you let the club know you won't be using your ST at a game, they can resell it and so the club benefits twice
Knowing this chap as I do, he wouldn’t be bothered enough to go through that sort of rigmarole, not many would I suggest.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Forest green fans can pay on the day going by their twitter. There should have been a cut off point and any remaining unsold tickets go to us

manc grecian

Forest green fans can pay on the day going by their twitter. There should have been a cut off point and any remaining unsold tickets go to us
Wouldn't we have to offer them just seating tickets from the start otherwise there's all the issues with segregation

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wouldn't we have to offer them just seating tickets from the start otherwise there's all the issues with segregation
Yeah, that's true. There's supposedly 300 of them coming down, so not really workable now.

Spoonz Red E

Away clubs are entitled to 10% of capacity.
Any cut off arrangement has to be agreed by both clubs.
We cannot dictate to the away club in terms of entitlement.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ok, fair enough. Thanks for confirming 👍

jimmy

In the 'sold out' tweet yesterday the club said they had tried to split the away end but it wasn't doable at this late stage.