• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

lamrobhero

There is inequality within England. Its the name of the game. Its what politicians do. For all the ballyhoo about "levelling up" and fairness, I am not aware of any politician advocating a REAL system based on equality. It would be like turkeys voting for Xmas.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
How have folks in St Paul’s or Knowle West in Bristol been less disadvantaged than poor areas in the devolved nations?
Dividing England into its EU era ‘regions’ (and further) does not recognise the Englishness of those areas, you could argue that it does the opposite in fact.
I sense that you and others aren’t particularly fussed about England (as a whole) being recognised politically but the more we devolve the other three nations in our Union, the more I think this anomaly will cause grievance in the nation that pays for the whole shebang.
Ignore the issue at your peril IMO.
I think the people of Cumbria / West Midlands / North East (name any region you like) will care more about whether they have hospital beds, good public transport, affordable housing and better schools than they will about whether they consider themselves to be English, or whether the average amount spent in Scotland is higher than in England. They won't even know about the spending (as they don't now), most people (you being one exception, I guess) care far more about what their lives are actually like, as opposed to their national 'identity'.

arthur

How have folks in St Paul’s or Knowle West in Bristol been less disadvantaged than poor areas in the devolved nations?
Dividing England into its EU era ‘regions’ (and further) does not recognise the Englishness of those areas, you could argue that it does the opposite in fact.
I sense that you and others aren’t particularly fussed about England (as a whole) being recognised politically but the more we devolve the other three nations in our Union, the more I think this anomaly will cause grievance in the nation that pays for the whole shebang.
I think that, within England , a sense of regional identity is far stronger than a national (English) one. Do you not agree?

And, apart from when it comes to sport (Football cricket etc), most non white English people would describe themselves as British rather than English. The same probably goes for young people as well.

I fear "the issue we ignore at our peril" is a product of your white late middle aged imagination...

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Peril of what?

tavyred

Peril of what?
As an example, if England had enjoyed Scottish levels of funding through the austerity era, do you think Brexit would’ve happened?
Many commentators trying to explain the English rejection of the EU blamed it on voters wanting to give Cameron and Osborne a kicking.
Thanks to our current constitutional settlement U.K. politicians used English public services to pay for austerity and ergo the voters here punished them.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
As an example, if England had enjoyed Scottish levels of funding through the austerity era, do you think Brexit would’ve happened?
Many commentators trying to explain the English rejection of the EU blamed it on voters wanting to give Cameron and Osborne a kicking.
Thanks to our current constitutional settlement U.K. politicians used English public services to pay for austerity and ergo the voters here punished them.
It absolutely still would have happened. Scottish people weren't living in luxury during that time. A couple of thousand pounds here and there would have made no difference.

That's even assuming austerity was a big factor in brexit. If the electorate wanted to give Cameron and Osborne a kicking, why did they hand them a majority for the first time just one year before?

DB9

I'm sure most people who don't follow politics like we do on this thread will not really have a clue about any Barnett Formula or how it works etc and the Political parties seem OK with it and it never seems an issue.

tavyred

It absolutely still would have happened. Scottish people weren't living in luxury during that time. A couple of thousand pounds here and there would have made no difference.

That's even assuming austerity was a big factor in brexit. If the electorate wanted to give Cameron and Osborne a kicking, why did they hand them a majority for the first time just one year before?
I didn’t say the Jocks were living in luxury, but I bet they arrived at the referendum ballot box in June 2016 more content with the status quo than many English voter would’ve at the time. On such differences elections are decided.
Disparities in regional funding are important and affect the political landscape, the Barnett formula currently being used to keep the Union together is a case in point.

Alistair20000

Having decisions devolved is a great idea in theory but it just leads to more areas of bureaucracy, waste and inefficiency.

The thought of a Cornish Drakeford turns me off.

DB9

Having decisions devolved is a great idea in theory but it just leads to more areas of bureaucracy, waste and inefficiency.

The thought of a Cornish Drakeford turns me off.
This does worry me, You only have to look at local Councils, From Parish to County/City level, Their bureaucracy and snail pace to get things done is painful, They have committees/meetings about having committees/meetings.