• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
My dear friend,
Given that you persistently voice your conviction that all government of any size or type or location is institutionally inefficient, if not outright corrupt, how to do suggest we organise society such that we enjoy the benefits of pooling our resources to provide for the common good?
A benign dictator natch :)

arthur

...who won't be in the least bit corrupt :)

angelic upstart

This does worry me, You only have to look at local Councils, From Parish to County/City level, Their bureaucracy and snail pace to get things done is painful, They have committees/meetings about having committees/meetings.
You didn't mention the ease of back handers and stitch ups that are rampant at local level.

Reactions: DB9

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
By Jingo Al! Give the job to Taggy!

Alistair20000

By Jingo Al! Give the job to Taggy!
Don't you mean Tavy ?

Alistair20000

...who won't be in the least bit corrupt :)
I could do a job :)

angelic upstart

If we could bin them off, with their capital, Plymouth, I'd be all for it. In fact, I'd be there, with my bucket and spade, to cut the Tamar a path to the north coast, then crack a bottle of champaign and launch them into the Atlantic.
I'll still be posting on here. You'll not get rid of me that easily etc.

arthur

You didn't mention the ease of back handers and stitch ups that are rampant at local level.
I remember seeing Tony Spellar, Tory MP for post Thorpe North Devon and one time Exeter City Councillor, appearing on a local TV Sunday politics show remarking on (or bemoaning) the fact that although he'd been on the Housing Committee (in the days when Councils built houses) no one had ever offered him a bribe...

Grecian2K

The thought of a Cornish Drakeford turns me off.
Yet aren't your party straining every sinew to impose a mayor (preferably CONservative) on Cornwall as a condition for replacing some of the lost EU funding? And already some of the blue-rosetted no-marks are queuing up to get their snouts around the trough.

If the thought of a Cornish Drakeford "turns you off" surely the idea of a "Kernow Kwarteng" or a "Truro Truss" is positively terrifying for the LOCALS - apart of course from to those second and third home owning airBnB speculators.

Alistair20000

Yet aren't your party straining every sinew to impose a mayor (preferably CONservative) on Cornwall as a condition for replacing some of the lost EU funding? And already some of the blue-rosetted no-marks are queuing up to get their snouts around the trough.

If the thought of a Cornish Drakeford "turns you off" surely the idea of a "Kernow Kwarteng" or a "Truro Truss" is positively terrifying for the LOCALS - apart of course from to those second and third home owning airBnB speculators.
I belong to no political party:p