• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheick Diabate

dommers

compensation from Taylor and Carlisle going to Rotherham. Increased attendances. Additional TV / cup run money (£161,000) before gate receipts of the Vale game.
Added to that no wage from Harry Smith which frees up funds.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Added to that no wage from Harry Smith which frees up funds.
Yeah hadn't thought of that and also general increased attendances etc. Whilst we won't have loads and loads we will have something to go the market with and try to strengthen.

Cowshed Grecian

compensation from Taylor and Carlisle going to Rotherham. Increased attendances. Additional TV / cup run money (£161,000) before gate receipts of the Vale game.
Good, let’s start handing out some contract renewals for next season then. We ain’t getting better than what we’ve got…that’s what’s worrying me.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We also sold a player for half a million just before the transfer deadline.

Reactions: Ash

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
We also sold a player for half a million just before the transfer deadline.
That was prior to Taylor saying no room in the budget but since then there's been some additional income etc. Which could potentially be used to bring in a player it two

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good, let’s start handing out some contract renewals for next season then. We ain’t getting better than what we’ve got…that’s what’s worrying me.
If after bringing into the club the requisite number of coaches this is exactly where I would be using any extra money. We have a huge possible rebuilding job next season and whilst it would be nice to finish say 8th is that really better than finishing say 15th but losing players next season we may have preferred to keep? For example, I would rather extend Sam Nombe's contract by a year thus increasing his transfer value than bring in a temporary squad player. Anyway I think much of this discussion will be academic given there wont be much cash left over when the bigger picture of the club's budget is considered. The club's costs are no different to what households and businesses are facing - a tripling of energy costs, Inflation at over 10% and food increases of now almost 15% and rising. These are all costs that wont have been factored into the original budget and have to be found from increased turnover otherwise exactly where is the money coming from?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
If after bringing into the club the requisite number of coaches this is exactly where I would be using any extra money. We have a huge possible rebuilding job next season and whilst it would be nice to finish say 8th is that really better than finishing say 15th but losing players next season we may have preferred to keep? For example, I would rather extend Sam Nombe's contract by a year thus increasing his transfer value than bring in a temporary squad player. Anyway I think much of this discussion will be academic given there wont be much cash left over when the bigger picture of the club's budget is considered. The club's costs are no different to what households and businesses are facing - a tripling of energy costs, Inflation at over 10% and food increases of now almost 15% and rising. These are all costs that wont have been factored into the original budget and have to be found from increased turnover otherwise exactly where is the money coming from?
Good post Saint James and you make a very valid point. I too would love to see our prize assets tied down to longer contracts, as would most City fans. Unfortunately this is ultimately out of our hands and we are at the mercy of the players and their agents, as to whether they sign or not. I am hopeful that a few of our out of contract players will resign, but I can see a few leaving, if for no other reason, than to advance their careers at a higher level.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Back on the topic of Cheikh Diabate, GC says in today's interview that Cheikh won't be involved again this weekend. But he'll be training next week and gradually increasing the load his foot can take. (so no guarantee he'll be playing next week either)

Its now 3 weeks since his return when he started and played 81 minutes. I remain concerned.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
I remain ****** off.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Back on the topic of Cheikh Diabate, GC says in today's interview that Cheikh won't be involved again this weekend. But he'll be training next week and gradually increasing the load his foot can take. (so no guarantee he'll be playing next week either)

Its now 3 weeks since his return when he started and played 81 minutes. I remain concerned.
This is football. Injuries happen. That's life. I dont think it is anything too serious. He will be back to his best soon. I think too many on here think every player that gets injured is the next Sam Stubbs. I font think this is one of those cases.