• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Which I would suspect would be on less money than he is currently on. I'd like MJ to be with us next year, as still believe he is a very valuable squad player both on and off the pitch, but it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I think it is interesting that MJ has chosen to make it common knowledge that he is out of contract as well at the end of the season.
That is the trade off he faces. When he signed an extension he had scored a load of goals and looked like he was at last destined for bigger things. I suspect he is one of our higher earners on that basis. However, both he and the club have a dilemma. The club has two options offer MJ a much lower contract to reflect his current status or be brutal and decide he isn't going to cut it at League One level so release him and free up the funds for someone else. For MJ he either decides any contract is better that no contract so as to stay local or he tries to find a L2 club that will give him a better deal. Tricky especially when he is an Academy success and Captain

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
If MJ is released then the manager needs his arse kicking.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
That is the trade off he faces. When he signed an extension he had scored a load of goals and looked like he was at last destined for bigger things. I suspect he is one of our higher earners on that basis. However, both he and the club have a dilemma. The club has two options offer MJ a much lower contract to reflect his current status or be brutal and decide he isn't going to cut it at League One level so release him and free up the funds for someone else. For MJ he either decides any contract is better that no contract so as to stay local or he tries to find a L2 club that will give him a better deal. Tricky especially when he is an Academy success and Captain
Yep I agree. I'd be surprised if the club didn't offer him a new deal, but like you said it will reflect his position within the squad now. I could see a big hitter in League Two (Bradford, Mansfield, Salford etc) offering him a very good contract and as you said this will be the dilemma/trade off that he will face.

Last edited:

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Geoff, clearly in an ideal world MJ will be offered a deal. However, we have finite monies and decisions always need to be made as to the best use of the little we have surely?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Everybody knows our squad is paper thin so why would we consider losing a player as talented and committed as Matt Jay ?

Memphis09

In the Devon Live article he says that 'its no secret that my contract is up at the end of the season'

Surely worth extending MJ's contract now for another year?
No thanks
Definitely not good enough for league 1
If we want to push on I am afraid we need to let go

Memphis09

Everybody knows our squad is paper thin so why would we consider losing a player as talented and committed as Matt Jay ?
It may be paper thin but we need to improve the squad
Think Kyle Taylor will fit into that role

Memphis09

Looks like you will be kicking arse then lol

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
It may be paper thin but we need to improve the squad
Think Kyle Taylor will fit into that role
He may but you don't know that. We know what we get with MJ.

I'd definitely keep him.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not advocating we get rid or otherwise. However, if MJ is released someone comes in as a replacement so it makes no difference to the ultimate size of the squad