• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

Bridgy 81

I think that's absolutely right. Factor in also things like next week - 3 league games in 8 days. I'd expect something like Sam only to play c150 minutes in the week - 2 starts x 60 minutes each, plus a sub appearance x 30 mins in midweek with Jay Stansfield starting that one.

And also games where we are losing and need to bring on someone different. A sub may be a cameo when we're winning but we need subs who can change games when we're losing/drawing.
I’m not in favour of loaning Matt Jay out, as currently or squad is small, he provides experience in the group and can be potentially used in a variety of roles within it.
Also, although I think Sam Nombe is a great player and we’re fortunate to have him I am a bit curious why he doesn’t seem to be able to last 90 minutes very often.
When he joined us last season I assumed it was because previously at MK Dons and Luton he hadn’t played many games so understandably needed some time to build up his stamina to play regularly.
Sam breaking down with injury mid season may have been a consequence of that I suppose.
So, for the second half of last season, I guess we were sensible to handle him with care as he was, by some distance, our best striker.
What I don’t quite get though is that this protection of Sam now seems to be almost a given.
I’m all in favour of players giving their all and he certainly does, even if it’s not for the full 90 minutes, then being replaced by a sub for extra energy but at 23 with under 100 league games under his belt I’d imagine he’d be physically at his peak, or very close to it.
That’s a long winded way of saying whilst Sam continues to need this level of respite, Jay and Harry Smith are new and Sonny still raw and finding his way, I would think dispensing of Matt, even temporarily, would be a mistake.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
We have the squad depth. In attack we have Nombe, Smith, Stansfield and Sonny Cox. We have attacking midfielders in Brown and Dieng plus plenty of others.
MJ will clearly play cameo roles. I set the scene and asked the question : What to do? If MJ is happy to play a supporting role only then that's ok.
Smith has scored 31 league goals in this entire career; Sonny Cox's only start has come in the Papa John's Trophy and he's yet to score a senior goal; and, for all his undoubted talent, Jay Stansfield has only ever scored one senior goal and that was more than a year ago. Yet, you seem to have concluded all three are, unequivocally, better options than MJ, who, lest we forget has more career goals than Nombe, Smith, Stansfield, and Cox put together!

Red Monster

Why would MT want to loan MJ out he said already over the weekend
we’ve still got a pretty small squad.
With the rule changes on 5 subs there’s plenty of matches he’ll
be involved in .

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
It is still possible for us to loan players to non-league.
Of course but not to League 2 as being suggested.

Thames Valley Red

Sonny scored a penalty at Gillingham and has looked good.

Boyo

I’m not in favour of loaning Matt Jay out, as currently or squad is small, he provides experience in the group and can be potentially used in a variety of roles within it.
Also, although I think Sam Nombe is a great player and we’re fortunate to have him I am a bit curious why he doesn’t seem to be able to last 90 minutes very often.
When he joined us last season I assumed it was because previously at MK Dons and Luton he hadn’t played many games so understandably needed some time to build up his stamina to play regularly.
Sam breaking down with injury mid season may have been a consequence of that I suppose.
So, for the second half of last season, I guess we were sensible to handle him with care as he was, by some distance, our best striker.
What I don’t quite get though is that this protection of Sam now seems to be almost a given.
I’m all in favour of players giving their all and he certainly does, even if it’s not for the full 90 minutes, then being replaced by a sub for extra energy but at 23 with under 100 league games under his belt I’d imagine he’d be physically at his peak, or very close to it.
That’s a long winded way of saying whilst Sam continues to need this level of respite, Jay and Harry Smith are new and Sonny still raw and finding his way, I would think dispensing of Matt, even temporarily, would be a mistake.
It's due to physiology. Within any muscle there are broadly two type of muscle fibres (fast twitch (FT) and slow twitch (ST)). Everyone has different proportions (genetically) and generally sprinters will have a higher ratios of FT, whilst endurance athletes have higher ratios of ST. Sam is speedy, so is likely to have higher ratios of FT muscles and hence is more vulnerable to injury when asked to perform endurance work (he literally has fewer ST muscle fibres to do endurance work). Whereas it's not possible to change your proportion of muscle types they can of course be optimised through conditioning (training). In summary speedy people who are required to perform endurance tasks are more prone to injury than a slower person.

Bridgy 81

It's due to physiology. Within any muscle there are broadly two type of muscle fibres (fast twitch (FT) and slow twitch (ST)). Everyone has different proportions (genetically) and generally sprinters will have a higher ratios of FT, whilst endurance athletes have higher ratios of ST. Sam is speedy, so is likely to have higher ratios of FT muscles and hence is more vulnerable to injury when asked to perform endurance work (he literally has fewer ST muscle fibres to do endurance work). Whereas it's not possible to change your proportion of muscle types they can of course be optimised through conditioning (training). In summary speedy people who are required to perform endurance tasks are more prone to injury than a slower person.
Thanks. That’s very interesting.
I think I must have mostly slow twitch fibres then, as I’m deceptively slow!

jimmy

Mistake

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Have you forgotten a striker called Smith that we signed last week?
No. I don't see 6 ft 5 in Smith as a similar player to Matt Jay.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
No. I don't see 6 ft 5 in Smith as a similar player to Matt Jay.
Heightest !