• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC v Cheltenham Town FC Match Day Thread

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd be more shocked if there were no police outside the Duke of York pre or post match.
Good beer at a very good price. 👍

Memphis09

Let’s face it, Cheltenham were terrible - they looked like a lower half League 2 team desperately hanging onto to an unlikely victory in the cup. Yet, somehow, we manage to match that with an awful performance all round.

Without Jevani and without any squad depth we looked completely knackered by half time and devoid of ideas. Big, big question marks around MJ and whether he can cut it at this level - he hasn’t performed at a consistent level since the end of 2021. Completely anonymous today. Nombe huffed and puffed but without his creative buddy looked out of sorts and the ball kept getting stuck under his feet.

The 5 sub rule is going to kill us unless we recruit - we have, unarguably a great starting 11 but it’s wafer thin and a performance like that was probably coming after giving their all on Tuesday. Our lack of forward options, 5 games in - is an embarrassment.
Agree about MJ think personally this is a level to high for him
Good bloke and ambassador for the club though

Memphis09

Harsh on Cox to say that. He was only on the pitch a short period of time and did nothing wrong. To compare him to Seymour, who had countless opportunities and is 5 years older, is simply unfair.
Thought Seymour looked quite bright in the short time he was on and certainly has loads more potential than Seymour

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thought Seymour looked quite bright in the short time he was on and certainly has loads more potential than Seymour
2 Seymours! One was enough for me.

Memphis09

2 Seymours! One was enough for me.
Bloody hell got that wrong didn’t I
Agree one Seymour was tooooo many
Cox will be ok
Hope I get that one right lol

Grecian Max

20 years ago we played Hull City off the park in August. Lee Sharpe scored a belter, remember telling people we'd looked good and had played like promotion contenders.

Since then, have never got overly excited, or too despondent by the team's form in August. You never get a true reflection this early in the season, not while the sun shines.
I remember that well, was absolutely buzzing after that performance - I think we may have gone up to Cheltenham and were winning and thinking we were gonna storm the division before we lost 4-3 and then had THAT season.

Grecian Max

Kidderminster I mean!

Grecian Max

I feel there is an element both on here and on the summer transfers thread where some appear to be asking why the club is not supporting the manager by giving him more funds to sign players, blaming this in part on the development of cliff hill and insinuating that there may be disagreement between manager and board.
Interesting take, I've not seen that on here? I think the additional funds required for C&F are part of life and no doubt have affected the playing budget, the way we're run means it all comes out of a limited pot after all, however that money is labelled.

Also questioning why Matt Taylor hasn't done more in terms of transfers as he's had long enough.
I do think, given we were promoted in early May that this transfer window hasn't gone well, acknowledged by the man himself. I think it's fair to question the approach this year, which seems to have meandered a bit - MT is always pretty open at what he's trying to achieve and those goals have shifted more than once in the last 3/4 months.

He has, in my opinion - along with his staff - absolutely nailed the windows of all the previous seasons. I remember defending his recruitment on here vs Tisdale's square pegs round hole approach and getting pelters. This time round you could sense something wasn't quite right in approach probably back in mid-June where there was absolutely nothing happening, decent rumours or links. Us lot will likely never know in the exact ins and outs, but can guess - sights set too high + expectation of a greater draw as a L1 club are my assumptions. The frustrating thing is that whatever hasn't worked, doesn't appear to be remedied - we have one proper forward 5 games in.

I think he has likely worked incredibly hard since promotion to get players in
No doubt about it, haven't seen anyone question work ethic, that would be mental

The fact that he has not yet been able to spend further than he has really shouldn't surprise us at all. I think we all know where our club lies in the league table of money available to spend on players.
We still manage to put together competitive squads in the top end of League 2, we aren't in the Championship - this shouldn't be impossible to squad build in League 1 as Exeter City

Thinking that MT can just go and get the board to rustle up more cash is pie in the sky.
He has said himself there is budget for 4-5 players, no one is suggesting what you're saying? The most recent ones that sound like they might fall through have nothing to do with budget. We got Kegs in and aren't paying a penny...

As for the training ground developments and it having a negative effect on first team budget, well I guess there will always be some who want everything spending on the team and nothing else.
It was a necessary thing to spend on; I want Matt to spend his money on 4-5 players, as stated multiple times by him, way after the training ground additional costs were publicised

I'm immensely proud of how our club has developed all round in the past 10 years or so. Having training facilities that are fitting for a league 1 professional club is hugely important to our future. The development and ultimate sale of players is what finances us now and will do into the future so being able to attract young talent by the quality of our facilities will go a long way. We should see it as a huge positive and not as a drawback .
Racking my brains to find those on here who aren't proud of the club or don't think the training ground and academy that served us so well shouldn't be developed as you say?

I hope we can all maintain our support and understanding for Matt. He is doing his very best.
He has my support!

IndoMike

Duke of York had a lot of drunk men outside with one man abusing a female police officer who was remaining remarkably calm. Part of me wishes they'd arrest these fools... I brought a first timer with me yesterday and that part of town is never a good first impression after full time 😂 Apart from that, there was the usual "come on then!" from a few kiddos but nothing major ...
All of me says "lock 'em up" .
For a long time law and order has been too tolerant of aggressive, leading to violent crime. When I was younger you could walk from the Black Horse to Dunsford Hill at night and not have to be on the look-out for gangs of thugs who thinks it's amusing to beat you up, film it and post it on fecking Facebook or whatever. Now you'd be lucky
to get as far as 100 yards before some ****(s) approach you
Years ago we should have introduced a zero- tolerance approach to all of this, but that bird has flown.
Regarding street dwellers, facilities should be provided for them to care for their physical and mental well-being, for their drug and alcohol problems, and for their education and skill learning. This should be tightly but compassionately controlled.
The current situation where these folks live on the street and sometimes intimidate passers-by is neither good for them or the public. Why has this problem been allowed to fester for decades?

IndoMike

Interesting take, I've not seen that on here? I think the additional funds required for C&F are part of life and no doubt have affected the playing budget, the way we're run means it all comes out of a limited pot after all, however that money is labelled.

I do think, given we were promoted in early May that this transfer window hasn't gone well, acknowledged by the man himself. I think it's fair to question the approach this year, which seems to have meandered a bit - MT is always pretty open at what he's trying to achieve and those goals have shifted more than once in the last 3/4 months.

He has, in my opinion - along with his staff - absolutely nailed the windows of all the previous seasons. I remember defending his recruitment on here vs Tisdale's square pegs round hole approach and getting pelters. This time round you could sense something wasn't quite right in approach probably back in mid-June where there was absolutely nothing happening, decent rumours or links. Us lot will likely never know in the exact ins and outs, but can guess - sights set too high + expectation of a greater draw as a L1 club are my assumptions. The frustrating thing is that whatever hasn't worked, doesn't appear to be remedied - we have one proper forward 5 games in.

No doubt about it, haven't seen anyone question work ethic, that would be mental

We still manage to put together competitive squads in the top end of League 2, we aren't in the Championship - this shouldn't be impossible to squad build in League 1 as Exeter City

He has said himself there is budget for 4-5 players, no one is suggesting what you're saying? The most recent ones that sound like they might fall through have nothing to do with budget. We got Kegs in and aren't paying a penny...

It was a necessary thing to spend on; I want Matt to spend his money on 4-5 players, as stated multiple times by him, way after the training ground additional costs were publicised

Racking my brains to find those on here who aren't proud of the club or don't think the training ground and academy that served us so well shouldn't be developed as you say?

He has my support!
Geoff is always criticising posters "in general" about comment they never made. Good old Geoff is always trying to take the high ground, which is why I nicknamed him Mother Theresa. Very few have criticized Matt on here, but some have wished he had more money to play around with. Many are disappointed we haven't made more signings, but so is Matt.
So please, Geoff, descend from your holier than thou throne and let's talk football.
Love ya Geoff.