• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC v Cheltenham Town FC Match Day Thread

Ian Tarr

Think naming 6 subs was to make a point. The club knows we need to sign players although there's no point trying to target unrealistic signings
I don't think it was. There weren't any other outfield players available who weren't either out on loan or playing for the U18s.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The 360 doesn't appear to be x-rated!

Saw it as I was walking by. A few agitated Grecians arguing with police, one bloke pushing a WPC, not sure whether anyone got arrested as I didn't stop to gawk.
I saw it too as I was walking by and it was a lot like the game in that there was precious little action.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone hear about a ruckus outside the Duke of York?
There were police outside there an hour after the Port Vale game when I walked past. What's new?

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
There were police outside there an hour after the Port Vale game when I walked past. What's new?
Someone asked me, nothing to see here really.

elginCity

20 years ago we played Hull City off the park in August. Lee Sharpe scored a belter, remember telling people we'd looked good and had played like promotion contenders.

Since then, have never got overly excited, or too despondent by the team's form in August. You never get a true reflection this early in the season, not while the sun shines.

geoffwp

I wasn't able to get to the game yesterday or follow online so I can't comment on players individaul performances or that of the team but reading through the thread has made me want to comment on issues beyond those. I feel there is an element both on here and on the summer transfers thread where some appear to be asking why the club is not supporting the manager by giving him more funds to sign players, blaming this in part on the development of cliff hill and insinuating that there may be disagreement between manager and board. Also questioning why Matt Taylor hasn't done more in terms of transfers as he's had long enough.
I personally don't believe there are issues between Matt and the board. He will have known full well how the finance structure works at ecfc even before taking on the manager role. He has his budget and doubtless will have known it well in advance. I think he has likely worked incredibly hard since promotion to get players in. We know that from things he has said. The fact that he has not yet been able to spend further than he has really shouldn't surprise us at all. I think we all know where our club lies in the league table of money available to spend on players. Thinking that MT can just go and get the board to rustle up more cash is pie in the sky. As for the training ground developments and it having a negative effect on first team budget, well I guess there will always be some who want everything spending on the team and nothing else. I think the best thing our club has done is to split money on infrastructure as well as playing budget. I'm immensely proud of how our clu.b has developed all round in the past 10 years or so. Having training facilities that are fitting for a league 1 professional club is hugely important to our future. The development and ultimate sale of players is what finances us now and will do into the future so being able to attract young talent by the quality of our facilities will go a long way. We should see it as a huge positive and not as a drawback . I hope we can all maintain our support and understanding for Matt. He is doing his very best.
Apologies for waffling.

KentGrecian

Duke of York had a lot of drunk men outside with one man abusing a female police officer who was remaining remarkably calm. Part of me wishes they'd arrest these fools... I brought a first timer with me yesterday and that part of town is never a good first impression after full time 😂 Apart from that, there was the usual "come on then!" from a few kiddos but nothing major ...

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Played some good passing football for the first 15/20 minutes without really creating any chances.

Then seemed to decide to bypass the midfield and Dieng was totally anonymous.

Kite had a shot on the turn well saved by their keeper but that was about it.

Meanwhile at the other end Jamal was only called into action once.

Second half Cheltenham came out with intent and their goal which came as no surprise came at the end of a good passing movement.

The first real sign of their time wasting tactics came after they scored when they were allowed to spend an exceptionally long time celebrating with their supporters.

City tried their best to increase their tempo but again Cheltenham’s time wasting tactics thwarted their attempts.

Diabate had a sound game defensively but his limitations were there for all to see when he came over the half way line and unlike Sweenz did not have the passing skills to contribute anything to the attack.

We were still having the greater % of possession but in Jevani’s absence there was no one on the field capable of making a killer pass.

The lack of depth in the squad was once again obvious to everyone as there was no one on the bench who MT could turn to to try and rectify this.

Although Cheltenham’s tactics left a lot to be desired I think a draw would have been a fair result and Sparkes shot from the edge of the area in the last few minutes of added on time would have been a deserved equaliser had it not been brilliantly tipped over the bar by the keeper.

As we all know we need new faces in particularly a striker as cover for Sam but in this particular game despite Sam buzzing around working hard and never giving the Cheltenham defence any rest the lack of the killer pass never provided with a chance to convert and show something for all his efforts so on this evidence we also need a creative midfielder and cover for Jevani.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Someone asked me, nothing to see here really.
I'd be more shocked if there were no police outside the Duke of York pre or post match.