• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

We are. It's indicative irl and on here. Instead of discussing proper issues crime (and subsequent punishment), education, the environment, health, Brexit etc. All of which have a legitimate knock on effect on our lives. We bicker and whine about largely pointless crap that doesn't affect us. Meanwhile whoever is in power revels in that because it takes away from their accountability for their failures and the way they consistently lead us up the garden path. In short, the people are a hindrance to themselves and what they want.
Agreed its a classic tactic but what can we do about it?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
It isn’t,
and the prospect of vacuum head Truss talking down to us in that stupid voice for a couple of years pretending she’s Thatcher ( I couldn’t stand that bleddy woman either ) , during which the country will go further down the plug hole looms high and large. Up shit creek and we’ve lost the map.
Considering the latest reports on environmental pollution, I guess that could be any English beach. Also shocking that this Govt has given carte blanche to industry to pump/ release effluent and other waste into our streams, rivers, fields and beaches.
As Cat Stevens asked "Where will the children play ?" Progress? At what cost?.

arthur

When was the last time a private water company built a reservoir?

tavyred

We are. It's indicative irl and on here. Instead of discussing proper issues crime (and subsequent punishment), education, the environment, health, Brexit etc. All of which have a legitimate knock on effect on our lives. We bicker and whine about largely pointless crap that doesn't affect us. Meanwhile whoever is in power revels in that because it takes away from their accountability for their failures and the way they consistently lead us up the garden path. In short, the people are a hindrance to themselves and what they want.
Perhaps our politicians are trying to tell us that most of our problems are politically unsolvable and all they have is the ability to tinker around the edges.
From the arcane gun laws in the US, the unaffordable sécurité sociale in France and our very own sacred cow the NHS, there are decisions to be made, but politicians have this awful habit of wanting to get elected rather than telling us some home truths.
It is our fault, we say we want honesty in our politicians, we patently do not.

IndoMike

When was the last time a private water company built a reservoir?
The thing about reservoirs is of course that in any normal country they also act as water sports centres. In effect a reservoir is a lake. I'm not suggesting that could be self-,funding, but at least some of the cost could be offset with entrance fees, maybe some environmentally kosher hotels, etc etc

arthur

Perhaps our politicians are trying to tell us that most of our problems are politically unsolvable and all they have is the ability to tinker around the edges.
From the arcane gun laws in the US, the unaffordable sécurité sociale in France and our very own sacred cow the NHS, there are decisions to be made, but politicians have this awful habit of wanting to get elected rather than telling us some home truths.
It is our fault, we say we want honesty in our politicians, we patently do not.
So The People are not always correct? I never realised there was a Damascus Road in Tavistock...

arthur

Bleddy liberal lefty judges. Why can't they let the government carry on its illegal activities in peace, without interference from these politically motivated busybodies?

Grecian2K

So The People are not always correct? I never realised there was a Damascus Road in Tavistock...
There isn't.
But there are plenty of dead ends and blind alleys.

IndoMike

There isn't.
But there are plenty of dead ends and blind alleys.
I hear Tavistock Rovers score a lot of goals, but most of them are deflections. My dad played for Tavistock Rangers a long time ago.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster