• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheick Diabate

rifraf

For me, equal MOM with Collins last night v Wycombe - but only because Collins had an excellent game also (like quite a few others).

Let there be no doubt ladies and gentlemen, Diabate right now is Championship starting XI standard ......... and as for the future? Towering, tenacious, strong, fit, and super fast with dogged determination and 'thou shalt not pass philosophy'. And he's calm on the ball. Yes, is he still a little raw around the edges. But you can see how he has gained confidence since regularly appearing at the start of the year. Really encouraging last night also to see him make telling long passes out of defence into clever areas.

We will get ££££££££££s for him ..... I just hope we can hang on to him for this season until other clubs start to sniff around, because they will.

For now, enjoy the ride (and our promising league position). Can't wait to start playing the likes of Ipswich, Wednesday, Bolton now to see where we really are in this League?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree absolutely, and just to defend my point I did state that Sam is finding it difficult to break up the back three. Sweenz was also a rock last night, and his game seems to be improving since re-signing, as does Alex Hartridge who covered Jack really well last night when Jack went on his forays .

Get the signings done and then roll on 1st Sept ASAP
Sweeney and Hartridge both have the advantage of having played in full back positions and are comfortable interchanging with the wing backs. On that basis I'm not sure Cheick would dislodge Sweeney because he doesn't have that in his game. It's a straight fight between Stubbs and Cheick for the central berth IMO.

As Stubbs is out of contract next summer and is free to talk to other clubs in January, I could see us accepting a small bid for him (if a club wanted to beat the rush to secure his signature) on the basis that Cheick looks a natural successor.

And when Cheick gets snapped up for big bucks Alfie Pond will hopefully still be here to step up and replace him.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
As Stubbs is out of contract next summer and is free to talk to other clubs in January, I could see us accepting a small bid for him (if a club wanted to beat the rush to secure his signature) on the basis that Cheick looks a natural successor.
Given his knee problems, I can't see many clubs parting with hard dough, to secure him.

DawlishBouy

Given his knee problems, I can't see many clubs parting with hard dough, to secure him.
As I pointed out in another thread Birmingham paid over 2 million quid for Sam Cosgrove and gave him a three year contract despite him having sufferd a bad knee injury. Plenty of clubs in the Championship who would risk a small fee on the chance of signing a good player.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Then he'll go in the summer for free. Either way win-win for us. UTC!

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Football's a funny old game. Two weeks ago some of us were lamenting the absence of Stubbs. Now it's Sam Stubbs Who?
I'd say if he.can play 25-30 games a season in a truly fit condition it would be good to keep him on a decent but not exorbitant wage.
Re Diabete : did somebody say his contract ends in Summer 2023 or 2024?
Quite incredible his rise to prominence.
Good on you, lad !

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Football's a funny old game. Two weeks ago some of us were lamenting the absence of Stubbs. Now it's Sam Stubbs Who?

Quite incredible his rise to prominence.
Good on you, lad !
I agree. TBH after a couple of dodgy outings at the tail end of last season I was beginning to doubt him. I still don't think his distribution is as great as some would have you believe...buy his defensive work last night was outstanding. He definitely looks like he has grown in confidence and is dominating opposition forwards now in the manner Stubbs does.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree. TBH after a couple of dodgy outings at the tail end of last season I was beginning to doubt him. I still don't think his distribution is as great as some would have you believe...buy his defensive work last night was outstanding. He definitely looks like he has grown in confidence and is dominating opposition forwards now in the manner Stubbs does.
Agree with that. For me his top priority is to defend, and he seems to do that very well. If he can see off the top striker in most games that's good enough.
Not many ball-playing centre backs in the nether regions of the League. Even England's centre backs aren't great at that.
And he did put that long ball into acres of space for Matt J yesterday. He's still so young : give him a couple of years and he could be something special. I just hope we don't get ripped off by some arrogant
to££er PL club

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with much of what is being said here. I watched the game last night and noticed a step change in Chieck which I am assuming is inner belief added to a growing confidence in his ability to play at this level and the fact that his manager is backing him to the hilt. To have a manager who played your position and singles you out for praise must have done his confidence the world of good. He is now playing in his natural position in the middle rather than on the left side. The only thing that will hold back potential bids imo is which system a club has? If they play with 3 CH's he looks perfect. However, at this stage of his career CD hasn't ever played in a back four or only fleetingly so that could be a factor of uncertainty for a club that plays a back 4?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with much of what is being said here. I watched the game last night and noticed a step change in Chieck which I am assuming is inner belief added to a growing confidence in his ability to play at this level and the fact that his manager is backing him to the hilt. To have a manager who played your position and singles you out for praise must have done his confidence the world of good. He is now playing in his natural position in the middle rather than on the left side. The only thing that will hold back potential bids imo is which system a club has? If they play with 3 CH's he looks perfect. However, at this stage of his career CD hasn't ever played in a back four or only fleetingly so that could be a factor of uncertainty for a club that plays a back 4?
Playing a back 4 certainly found out Wycombe last night. The space between Forino and Mawson was evident at times, though I guess Mawson being new to them and Grimmer and Jakobson wanting to get forward didn't help. I remarked to my mate that they needed to switch to a back 3 to combat our formation. Glad they didn't!