Cheick Diabate

andrew p long

Well-known Exeweb poster
Love Cheick think he’s going onto bigger things.

Regarding this contract news though - he signed until the end of next season last year and the club had the option of a 1 year extension so it’s not quite what it’s being made out to be as a “2 year extension”

I’m actually concerned that this means he doesn’t want to stick around for longer - we will probably have to sell in January to get him at his peak value. Shame.
This concerned me too. I fear that Cheick has seen what has happened to Josh Key - still here. When in each of the previous two transfer windows City rejected offers that would mean Josh would now be playing in the Championship (and on mega wages compared to ECFC). Do other players look at that and think 'gosh I'd better not sign too long a contract with ECFC,lest they block my upward progression'?

And now Alfie Pond - who is one heck of a prospect too - wants away too.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
This concerned me too. I fear that Cheick has seen what has happened to Josh Key - still here. When in each of the previous two transfer windows City rejected offers that would mean Josh would now be playing in the Championship (and on mega wages compared to ECFC). Do other players look at that and think 'gosh I'd better not sign too long a contract with ECFC,lest they block my upward progression'?

The joys and pains of the system we operate I’m afraid , the joy Ollie , the pain Alfie with with the Jordan Storeys in between. It’s a ruthless old game especially if you’re at the swamp end of the pecking order but we’ve chosen it as our way of surviving financially so we have to put up with it.

SaintJames

Andrew, possibly you are right. However, whilst we are a selling club and whilst we will always let players leave. When will their agents and those who advise them understand that they wont get the moves they think they should get UNLESS the club are properly compensated for years of painstaking development. Bigger clubs will always fill the heads of young players with dreams of untold (relativly) wealth but this shouldn't be at the expense of the club getting screwed by the bigger boys. I'm certain that the 'deal/s' for Josh were well below the levels speculated on here otherwise he wouldn't be here now. As for Pondy a boy yet to make his debut - Words fail me me

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Andrew, possibly you are right. However, whilst we are a selling club and whilst we will always let players leave. When will their agents and those who advise them understand that they wont get the moves they think they should get UNLESS the club are properly compensated for years of painstaking development. Bigger clubs will always fill the heads of young players with dreams of untold (relativly) wealth but this shouldn't be at the expense of the club getting screwed by the bigger boys. I'm certain that the 'deal/s' for Josh were well below the levels speculated on here otherwise he wouldn't be here now. As for Pondy a boy yet to make his debut - Words fail me me
Same with Jay Stansfield and, some years ago, Sean Goss?? At least we did see Ethan (a few times).

andrew p long

Well-known Exeweb poster
So Cheickh's progress continues with a full 95 minutes in the first League One game. Difficult to believe he was playing four tiers lower up until December.

And got the second best ECFC player rating from a Lincoln fan site, despite the fact he could have done better re the goal conceded.