• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

George Ray to Orient

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Now we need to add CB to GK, LWB, C/DM, CFx2
Cloud cuckoo land with that list ryan.

grecIAN Harris

I have no way of knowing what salary he was on neither do I know if he and Taylor didn't see eye to eye. I do think Taylor likes "get stuck in" type defenders, which might have been a reason why he released Aaron Martin. Imo Martin and Ray are not too dissimilar.
Can you expand on that for me please as I'm trying to work out what is distorting your satalite service in Indonesia?

ryancooper327

Cloud cuckoo land with that list ryan.
Maybe but:
- We need a keeper, obviously.
- We only have Sparkes as a LWB with Rowe (og position) and Daniel going. Unless Caprice is backup on both sides, bit weak no?
- Dieng, Collins and Kite. Need another CM in there with Taylor out all season probably.
- CF, we need to replace Zanzala and Phillips. So maybe only one if Cox is going to be used and formation dependant.

Anyway, back to Ray. I’d have liked him to stick around.

Pobbop

Diabate is class, better than Ray. Pond is the next off the rank by all accounts. Got to remember when we signed Ray, Hartridge hadn't really established himself, stubbs was forever 2 weeks from being fit, he was needed then, not now, no reason for a replacement IMHO.

Oh and Kite, in one match admittedly showed he could play the position nicely.

Anyway good luck to him, the Lee Rogers of this promotion season

Bridgy 81

Without Grounds resigning (atm). Diabate and Pond isn’t good enough back up IMO. Now we need to add CB to GK, LWB, C/DM, CFx2
Matt said in his interview 2 days ago ”we only need 4 or 5 players” so I think you’re right in relation to both the number of signings and positions you’ve suggested.
But he also stressed that the likelihood is most of these will be on loan.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Diabate is class, better than Ray. Pond is the next off the rank by all accounts. Got to remember when we signed Ray, Hartridge hadn't really established himself, stubbs was forever 2 weeks from being fit, he was needed then, not now, no reason for a replacement IMHO.

Oh and Kite, in one match admittedly showed he could play the position nicely.

Anyway good luck to him, the Lee Rogers of this promotion season
Popps great analysis of what was then and what is now. As 5th choice centre half realistically we couldnt afford Ray to be sitting on the bench on good money. However, let's please ditch the idea that Harry Kite at 5ft 6 was anything other than a one game stand in with no other options at CH!

IndoMike

Is he staying at Orient?
I have assumed so (which might be daft cos my most commonly used piece of advice is never assume anything 🙄)

IndoMike

Can you expand on that for me please as I'm trying to work out what is distorting your satalite service in Indonesia?
From what I've seen and read and what a very good friend of mine told me who has played at a level of football much higher than you or I have so therefore actually knows what he's talking about. They are similar body shape, similar style of playing.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
From what I've seen and read and what a very good friend of mine told me who has played at a level of football much higher than you or I have so therefore actually knows what he's talking about. They are similar body shape, similar style of playing.
I would tend to agree with this as well to some extent, although I would say Ray was slightly better in the air than Martin.

Ray was a good signing for us at the start of last season, but with Stubbs showing his class from Christmas onwards, the continued development of Hartridge, the emergence of Diabate as now a first team player, and Alfie Pond coming through someone add to make way and for the sake of the budget with the money Ray is probably on this makes sense.

I would assume that MT is probably looking for a LB that could also play LCB as well. Basically similar to what Grounds was if indeed he decides not to sign. That way one player can fulfill two positions.

As much as people don't want to hear it, I'm led to believe that the budget is tight this year and so we will have to have a smaller squad in order to bring in enough quality.

Pobbop

Popps great analysis of what was then and what is now. As 5th choice centre half realistically we couldnt afford Ray to be sitting on the bench on good money. However, let's please ditch the idea that Harry Kite at 5ft 6 was anything other than a one game stand in with no other options at CH!
Just saying it's an option if desperate, TBH with 3 at the back, one of them can easily switch to a sweeper type, how tall was Baresi? Ridiculous comparison I know, but not all back 3 players need to be 6 foot plus. Steve Potts wasn't much taller.