• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

George Ray to Orient

TSW1389

Looks like George has been released

ryancooper327

I would have liked him in and around the squad this season but I guess £ is tight. I know Sweeney had a good season but think Stubbs, Ray and Hartridge would have been my preferred back 3. With Sweeney and Diabate backing up and Pond on the edge of breaking in/loaned.

Red red

Thought he had a year left on his contract

ryancooper327

Thought he had a year left on his contract
Probably a mutual agreement.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would have liked him in and around the squad this season but I guess £ is tight. I know Sweeney had a good season but think Stubbs, Ray and Hartridge would have been my preferred back 3. With Sweeney and Diabate backing up and Pond on the edge of breaking in/loaned.
If we are playing a back three, I would always want Stubbs in the middle of it.

IndoMike

If we are playing a back three, I would always want Stubbs in the middle of it.
Yes, but there is always the concern that Stubbs' injury will raise its ugly head again during the season. Imo he did nothing wrong when he was with us and would have made a
perfectly adequate replacement for Stubbs or even Sweenz. I'm a bit surprised that we let him go but I guess there must be a logical reason.

simcity

Yes, but there is always the concern that Stubbs' injury will raise its ugly head again during the season. Imo he did nothing wrong when he was with us and would have made a
perfectly adequate replacement for Stubbs or even Sweenz. I'm a bit surprised that we let him go but I guess there must be a logical reason.
He was one of our highest earners and there were rumours he & Taylor didn’t see eye to eye.

If Taylor only saw him as a back up at best there is no business case for him staying at the club doing nothing while being paid big money that could be used elsewhere!

IndoMike

He was one of our highest earners and there were rumours he & Taylor didn’t see eye to eye.

If Taylor only saw him as a back up at best there is no business case for him staying at the club doing nothing while being paid big money that could be used elsewhere!
I have no way of knowing what salary he was on neither do I know if he and Taylor didn't see eye to eye. I do think Taylor likes "get stuck in" type defenders, which might have been a reason why he released Aaron Martin. Imo Martin and Ray are not too dissimilar.

ryancooper327

Without Grounds resigning (atm). Diabate and Pond isn’t good enough back up IMO. Now we need to add CB to GK, LWB, C/DM, CFx2

andrew p long

For me, first choice dominant centre half/number 5 is Sam Stubbs.

And second choice is now Cheickh Diabate.

This means that even if Stubbs misses some games through injury, ray isn't going to be getting the sort of game time that an experienced talented League Two centre half needs/expects.

So all in all this is the right (and IMHO inevitable) move all round, provided City and Stubbs are confident he will be available for most games.