• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Your last sentence disqualifies you from winning anything. If it's any consolation I was wronger than you - I thought the Tories would win with a three figure majority
Fair cop!!!!
A good morning though, A blow to Johnson but he won't go anywhere but renewed hope that tactical voting in the Tory heartland can bring fruitful results and enforce change.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
I hear that, with the departure of Dowden, operation "Save Big Dog" has been scaled back to "Rescue The Poor Little Shih Tzu"

arthur

Mad Nad for party chairperson ? :ROFLMAO:
Not inconceivable. Dowden was Secretary of State for Culture Wars before he became party chair - this a a career path open to her also

angelic upstart

I think you're close to the mark there. Labour shouldn't have much to crow about this morning. It won't stop them of course.

I think Bunter is safe as long as he has the support of Murdoch, Dacre and the Tele. Johnson helped give Murdoch the Brexit he craved, so Roops isn't going to jump ship to Starmer's lot anytime soon who could then jeopardise what's been done so far on that front.

Even with the support of those, if the cost of living crisis continues to run away, the Tories have real problems. If the LDs & Labour come up with some kind of electoral pact, that'll compound things further (not easy in practice mind).

And let's not forget Farage and crew. It'll be interesting to see what they might do at the next GE.
In fairness, Roops is 91 - You'd think he could enjoy his retirement as he hasn't got too long left to enjoy it.

Mr Jinx

In fairness, Roops is 91 - You'd think he could enjoy his retirement as he hasn't got too long left to enjoy it.
Yep, so little left, he's already lining up his next wife, lol.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think you're close to the mark there. Labour shouldn't have much to crow about this morning. It won't stop them of course.

I think Bunter is safe as long as he has the support of Murdoch, Dacre and the Tele. Johnson helped give Murdoch the Brexit he craved, so Roops isn't going to jump ship to Starmer's lot anytime soon who could then jeopardise what's been done so far on that front.

Even with the support of those, if the cost of living crisis continues to run away, the Tories have real problems. If the LDs & Labour come up with some kind of electoral pact, that'll compound things further (not easy in practice mind).

And let's not forget Farage and crew. It'll be interesting to see what they might do at the next GE.
I have said before and happily will say again, Labour's best chance is to work with the Lib Dem's, Greens and SNP in order to form a majority government. SNP / Greens could be a supply and demand agreement, with Lib Dems forming a coalition

Mr Jinx

I have said before and happily will say again, Labour's best chance is to work with the Lib Dem's, Greens and SNP in order to form a majority government. SNP / Greens could be a supply and demand agreement, with Lib Dems forming a coalition
It's not their best chance, it's their only chance.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not their best chance, it's their only chance.
Appreciate he wouldn't be as knowledgeable as Jinxy, but the renowned psephologist Sir Jon Curtice is saying the Wakefield result would be enough to give Labour an overall majority at a general election. #carryonjohnson

Mr Jinx

Appreciate he wouldn't be as knowledgeable as Jinxy, but the renowned psephologist Sir Jon Curtice is saying the Wakefield result would be enough to give Labour an overall majority at a general election. #carryonjohnson
Yes, but it's a By Election, with all its caveats.

If General Elections always followed By Elections, history would be very different.

DB9

As was said also on BBC Breakfast and GMB.