• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, but it's a By Election, with all its caveats.

If General Elections always followed By Elections, history would be very different.
No shit Sherlock.

I think it's reasonable to assume Curtis is aware of this. He also said that on the basis of the Tiverton and Honiton result the Tories would lose 333 of their current seats to the LibDems but acknowledged that wasn't going to happen. He did, however, say he can't now conceive of a path to victory for the Tories at the next general election.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Labour have only flipped one other seat in a by- election since the 2010 GE. That says to me that this is significant, particularly in a red wall seat.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Very different world now. Labour should be seriously facing up to the fact that they are unlikely to win an overall majority again.
I really hope you're right re PR...

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

I have said before and happily will say again, Labour's best chance is to work with the Lib Dem's, Greens and SNP in order to form a majority government. SNP / Greens could be a supply and demand agreement, with Lib Dems forming a coalition
When you says Greens you may mean Green unfortuantely there's one ...

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I really hope you're right re PR...
God no, I'm completely wrong. The establishment won't allow PR to happen.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
God no, I'm completely wrong. The establishment won't allow PR to happen.
Who is the establishment these days?

BTW re referendums - we didn't have one when we joined the EU and no-one seemed to mind. It strikes me that people only call for referendums when they can't get what they want through Parliament. Restoring capital punishment was one such campaign a few years ago, leaving the EU is another example...

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Who is the establishment these days?

BTW re referendums - we didn't have one when we joined the EU and no-one seemed to mind. It strikes me that people only call for referendums when they can't get what they want through Parliament. Restoring capital punishment was one such campaign a few years ago, leaving the EU is another example...
The establishment is, on the whole, a whole bunch of Conservative politicians, the Royal Family, the aristocracy, plus a good deal of the wealthy including media barons, landlords, bankers, non-doms etc.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster

Grecian2K

Lest we forget there could soon be another by-election looming in Somerton & Frome depending on the outcome of a parliamentary enquiry concerning the allegations of sexual misconduct and use of Class A drugs by the present incumbent (who has already been suspended by the Tory party but is still clinging on to his MP salary.

A definite Lib Dem Target, given that they actual held the seat from 1997 to 2010.

Grecian2K

Oh dear.
No wonder the hopeless Helen lost
With the writing on the wall, the Tory candidate barricaded herself in a room to avoid the cameras (msn.com)
They don't half pick them, don't they? Wonder if they'll stick with her for the next GE??