• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have said i get that and more power to it but my point on that trailer is that Wimbledon is a tournament for both men and women on equal measure (IMO) and should, i would of thought be advertised as such. FWIW i won't be watching because tennis is not my thing, Like Rugby just don't like them that much, As for the women's Euro's, I might dip in and out of it but won't be thinking its a "Must watch" programme.
Accepted.

I think the key to the campaign is that they'll probably have similar weighted trailers with other sports too.
i.e. it's not a Wimbledon trailer as such but a trailer highlighting women in tennis using Wimbledon as the tag.

DB9

Accepted.

I think the key to the campaign is that they'll probably have similar weighted trailers with other sports too.
i.e. it's not a Wimbledon trailer as such but a trailer highlighting women in tennis using Wimbledon as the tag.
Yep, Ive seen the trailers for the other sports like the women's Euro's that are being shown over the summer and agree its great to see it but for me its just this one where the men and women have equal billing in the same (Sport) tournament, Which is still pretty rare.

Oldsmobile-88

20th June 1986.

A short programme on BBC2 in the afternoon called Faulty Towers..Nothing to do with Basil but the design of 60s tower blocks specifically the one at Ronan Point in London, which had a catastrophic collapse following a minor explosion due to a gas escape on a cooker. Several design faults were found upon investigation.The only high rise block of flats in Exeter(Rennes House,Vaughan Rd)was the same design & nearing completion, it subsequently never had the gas supply connected.

CD8BD015-087A-44DF-ABCF-677CC3A3BDCD.jpeg609A7E70-3C82-4211-BCE6-D28394C2AB95.jpeg

Mr Jinx

20th June 1986.

A short programme on BBC2 in the afternoon called Faulty Towers..Nothing to do with Basil but the design of 60s tower blocks specifically the one at Ronan Point in London, which had a catastrophic collapse following a minor explosion due to a gas escape on a cooker. Several design faults were found upon investigation.The only high rise block of flats in Exeter(Rennes House,Vaughan Rd)was the same design & nearing completion, it subsequently never had the gas supply connected.

View attachment 8702View attachment 8703
Entertainment USA. Another great program that was...and another one that the BBC are afraid to admit to. Repeats of that you won't see.

DB9

Entertainment USA. Another great program that was...and another one that the BBC are afraid to admit to. Repeats of that you won't see.
It was a really good programme but of course you can't show it again, King was the main person in it and his subsequent jailing means his name is never spoken in BBC corridors.

Spoonz Red E

Interesting prediction from the fortune teller in the first line of the blurb for the programme but not in the sense inferred at the time ...

Oldsmobile-88

21st June 1978.

I remember jumping out of my seat when Arie Haan knocked that one in the net that lead to The Netherlands reaching the World Cup Final for the 2nd time in succession, alas as in 1974, the best team in the tournament did not win the World Cup.
Total Football was a adapt description on that 1970s team, if England were not playing in the premier football tournament, the dutch always had my eye & support.

Unbelievably & to everyone’s shock( though we know now the reason) Johan Cryuff had decided to retire from International Football at the end of 1977, such was the strength & flair of the team arguably the worlds best player was not missed.

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

21st June 1978.

I remember jumping out of my seat when Arie Haan knocked that one in the net that lead to The Netherlands reaching the World Cup Final for the 2nd time in succession, alas as in 1974, the best team in the tournament did not win the World Cup.
Total Football was a adapt description on that 1970s team, if England were not playing in the premier football tournament, the dutch always had my eye & support.

Unbelievably & to everyone’s shock( though we know now the reason) Johan Cryuff had decided to retire from International Football at the end of 1977, such was the strength & flair of the team arguably the worlds best player was not missed.

I remember the '78 finals well.

Scotland screwing it up...before that goal v Holland.

The dodgy Argentina game vs Peru to see them through to the finals.

Holland hitting the post right at the death in the Final.

Oldsmobile-88

I remember the '78 finals well.

Scotland screwing it up...before that goal v Holland.

The dodgy Argentina game vs Peru to see them through to the finals.

Holland hitting the post right at the death in the Final.
It was a decent tournament. Just the 16 teams, it’s been expanded to ridiculous numbers now.

A unsavoury Military Junta in charge of Argentina at the time. The World Cup was awarded to Argentina (in 1966)when it was under a completely different government so the complaints made pre tournament about having it there were not really valid, The Junta took power in a coup in 1976, too late to find a new venue even if FIFA had wanted to.

Willie Johnstone being sent home for failing a drugs test..Nothing said about the Argentine player who’s urine sample suggested he was pregnant 😁

lamrobhero

🎵 When we reach the Argentine we're really gonna show
The world a brand of football that they could never know
We're representing Britain; we've got to do or die
For England cannae dae it 'cause they didnae qualify 🎵