• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
From what I understand it’s being taken off all platforms.
Ah, just found this..
Forces TV will close on 30th June 2022. Forces news and features will move to the Forces News digital platform. Its operator, the charity BFBS, says the closure will allow it to focus its resources on delivering services to its target audience, the military community.

Oldsmobile-88

22nd June 1986..BBC1

Alvin Martin thought about taking Maradona out just outside the area(his arm is out stretched) but he was already on a caution.

It does not seem 36 years ago that we cursed & admired the flawed genius on that Sunday evening.
I think we were all in a state of shock after the culmination of what we had see in the previous 4 minutes.

Rosencrantz

22nd June 1986..BBC1

Alvin Martin thought about taking Maradona out just outside the area(his arm is out stretched) but he was already on a caution.

It does not seem 36 years ago that we cursed & admired the flawed genius on that Sunday evening.
I think we were all in a state of shock after the culmination of what we had see in the previous 4 minutes.

[Pendants cap on] It was Terry Fenwick rather than Alvin Martin 🤓 [pendant cap off].

My favourite Mexico 86 story was when Bobby Robson went to the Mexico City hotel where FIFA were based to hand in the final squad list. Having handed it over and left the hotel, he was walking down the street with other FA bods when his FIFA rep came running shouting "Mr Bobby, Mr Bobby. There has been a mistake". It took Bobby some time to explain that there were actually two Gary Stevens 🙂

Oldsmobile-88

[Pendants cap on] It was Terry Fenwick rather than Alvin Martin 🤓 [pendant cap off].

My favourite Mexico 86 story was when Bobby Robson went to the Mexico City hotel where FIFA were based to hand in the final squad list. Having handed it over and left the hotel, he was walking down the street with other FA bods when his FIFA rep came running shouting "Mr Bobby, Mr Bobby. There has been a mistake". It took Bobby some time to explain that there were actually two Gary Stevens 🙂
I stand corrected Rosy 😎

I remember when the team were staying in the centre of Mexico City, it did not look a very swish hotel, was probably on a par with a Premier Inn of today without the comfy bed & good nights sleep guarantee.

Oldsmobile-88

This week 1979.

“Every one can see there was chalk dust” 😁

It would be interesting to retrospectively look at some of Johns rants on the court about line calls if we could using the tech of today.

883A72A5-EA3D-4048-A75C-A0D6CA0DE724.jpeg

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

23rd June 1979.

Cricket World Cup Final Day..Not mentioned in the Radio Times but it’s England v West Indies.

A short tournament in those days. Held in England in June for the first three occasions (‘75 ‘79 ‘83) due to the long daylight hours. 60 overs was the format.
6 Test playing nations plus the winners & runners up of the ICC Trophy( Sri Lanka & Canada)
It left these shores surprisingly for Pakistan in 1987 competition with a reduced 50 overs format.

I remember watching, Geoff Boycott was never a great batsman for a run chase at the start of a innings !
England were superb until the final, putting the Aussies out in the group stage.

4E329869-3E8E-45D7-B4AC-8F3C5CE412DB.jpeg7D97127B-82DE-4B04-986F-DAE31ECE1BC2.jpegFF456604-70FB-40CF-8F34-7C27AC2A8C46.jpeg

DB9

Netflix cutting another 300 jobs (Mainly in the US) They're seeing more competition with other streaming services plus have increased their prices and people are cutting back on what they spend their money on.

Oldsmobile-88

1934AABD-A21E-45C6-93A4-E4965CC5ECBA.jpeg48BB0557-25BA-451B-BB5B-9C97F1722DEC.jpegSunday 25th June 1979.

John Wayne had recently died, one of his last major films(box office) was shown in tribute, True Grit(1969) The movie was first shown on UK TV at Christmas 1976.
This was only the 2nd airing on TV iirc.
I had forgotten that there was such a good support cast for the production.

Later on BBC2 was the German language film M (1931) A classic with Peter Lorre in his first major role as a sadistic child serial killer in the Berlin of the Wiemar Republic.
The legendary Expressionist Film Maker ‘Fritz’ Lang oversaw production.

BBC2 were so good in those days broadcasting international films both modern & old.

Oldsmobile-88

Watching Glastonbury on BBC2...Was that really a flag with North Koreas head honcho, Kim Jung-il on it 😁 ?

Oldsmobile-88

Watching Glastonbury on BBC2...Was that really a flag with North Koreas head honcho, Kim Jung-il on it 😁 ?
Seen something in similar poor taste, the ‘god awful’ Devon flag in the slimes colours 🤢