• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for the opening day of the new League One season

Pobbop

He's got rid of Nige, I expect him to bring in another Midfielder, but I'm a bif fan of Harry Kite, think he'll step up, and no way Collins doesn't deserve to start, he's plenty good enough.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Too many possible player movements to start naming a team for the first game.

Pobbop

Too many possible player movements to start naming a team for the first game.
We did this last year, just put out the xi that you would have to put out if the season starts tomorrow. This time last year it was pretty bleak, and got worse for a bit with the likes of Sweenz etc. leaving.

tonykellowfan

It is also true to say that lots of people think we are going to be just fine in L1 next season.

We need to improve the first team otherwise we will be in the bottom half of the table, I can easily see us struggling to about 50 points next season.

Edna Clouds

My neck of the country is now Shropshire and spend time watching Shrewsbury in league 1. I agree there is nothing to fear about league 1 but would emphasise that the difference between success and mediocracy remains the ability to score goals ( ask Ryan Bowman). Hence the need for real creativity and drive in midfield plus the ability to put away chances created. Same as anywhere else in reality but the challenge is greater given the increased power of opposition defences.
Nombe (when fit) is an upgrade on Bowman. Brown will be fine. We just need some back up.

Number13

With Seymour gone what re the chances of Nombe being No.9?
Thought the No9 post the Stanno period was going to be for a young youth team forward? Would imagine its nailed on to be Sonny Cox's shirt?

On the actual subject tho, far too early to be doing this unless its to identify the obvious issue that we are short in GK, CM and CF and thats without bids coming in for people like Key

andrew p long

On shirt numbers the ones available include 1,4,9 and 11. Nombe for 9 surely, which would free up 10 for Brown

1 for a new keeper and possibly 4 for the new central midfielder unless Dieng bags it. George Ray has 5 so if he goes Stubbs (or Diabate?) could grab it - if Stubbs gets 5 that frees up 6. Sweenz to determinedly cling on to 26.

ryancooper327

Dieng #4 ❤

Red Devon

On shirt numbers the ones available include 1,4,9 and 11. Nombe for 9 surely, which would free up 10 for Brown

1 for a new keeper and possibly 4 for the new central midfielder unless Dieng bags it. George Ray has 5 so if he goes Stubbs (or Diabate?) could grab it - if Stubbs gets 5 that frees up 6. Sweenz to determinedly cling on to 26.
Diabate would make a good 5.

JCWhoosh

If Key gets sold, would you think we have that position already covered with Caprice?