• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for the opening day of the new League One season

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
It does indeed look a good 11. The challenge I think, is that we'll need options in terms of formations next year. What would our best 4-4-2 team be, for example?
Important question for a number of reasons/questions. We need to sign a good striker who will not want to rotate with Nombe who would be better as part of a front two anyway. Is Jevani a strike partner or a number 10? Can we wean ourselves off the solidity of our tried and tested back 3? And what does a 442 look like - a diamond, or something else?

ryancooper327

Still think GK, 2x wing backs, DM, CF. LCB if Grounds doesn’t sign.

But right now:

Brown
Sweeney Stubbs Hartridge
Key Collins Dieng Sparkes
Jay
Brown Nombe

At a push could have a back up XI!

Lee
Pond Ray Diabate
Caprice Taylor Kite Grounds
Coley Cox Iseguan

Trampus

This seems like a good time to start my favourite summer thread. As Red Bill has commented on the retained list thread, this must be the strongest squad in years we've had in place for a following season. Normally at this stage we are scrabbling around trying to put an 11 together; this year we already have enough players under contract to make up a very decent looking bench.

Lee
Sweeney Stubbs Hartridge
Key Sparkes
Collins Dieng
Jay
Brown Nomber

Subs - Brown/ Arthur, Pond/Ray, Diabate, Caprice, Kite, Coley, Cox
Needs to beat at least a three player upgrade on this if we are not to be fighting relegation from the off

arthur

Still think GK, 2x wing backs, DM, CF. LCB if Grounds doesn’t sign.

But right now:

Brown
Sweeney Stubbs Hartridge
Key Collins Dieng Sparkes
Jay
Brown Nombe
This is essentially last season's team. Who would you drop to be replaced by our most urgently needed new signings?

ryancooper327

This is essentially last season's team. Who would you drop to be replaced by our most urgently needed new signings?
From the 5 positions I highlighted, I think GK and RWB when Key goes as has been rumoured. I’d like to see challengers/ back ups for Sparkes, Dieng/Collins and J. Brown rather than replacements.

Trampus

Goalkeeper, central midfield upgrade from Collins and two proven strikers. None of the front three are likely to hack it in league 1.

arthur

Goalkeeper, central midfield upgrade from Collins and two proven strikers. None of the front three are likely to hack it in league 1.
League 1 is being presented as this daunting place, populated by teams vastly better than what we've been used to. I'm not sure this is entirely true. We played Gillingham away the season before last and won reasonably comfortably (i.e. we weren't outclassed, we just won fair and square) . They finished tenth that year....

Trampus

And were relegated this year

Pobbop

Those front three will do me, no idea why you'd think they wouldn't go on, they're all technically correct, and work well together. Need more options obviously, with all the loanees gone, and a GK, but other than that, that team is mid-table I reckon, nothing frightening about League 1.

Trampus

Those front three will do me, no idea why you'd think they wouldn't go on, they're all technically correct, and work well together. Need more options obviously, with all the loanees gone, and a GK, but other than that, that team is mid-table I reckon, nothing frightening about League 1.
My neck of the country is now Shropshire and spend time watching Shrewsbury in league 1. I agree there is nothing to fear about league 1 but would emphasise that the difference between success and mediocracy remains the ability to score goals ( ask Ryan Bowman). Hence the need for real creativity and drive in midfield plus the ability to put away chances created. Same as anywhere else in reality but the challenge is greater given the increased power of opposition defences.