• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Defining moments

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I often think back to our last promotion and those clear moments that stood out that piece together a successful year. What have been the defining parts for you? Obviously the big one like Jay’s winner v Barrow but what about

Nombe getting the clapping going at the bank for the first time, was a sign of things to come in terms of player & fan connection with the squad

Sparkes v Harrogate goal proved things would go for us no matter what and all because we press until the

Dieng’s shot crawling under Wollacott at Swindon made me believe again

Late goal off the post v Salford away

0-0s at FGR and Vale in difficult circumstances keeping our rivals at arms length despite being weakened

The break because of Covid seemingly energised us after a rubbish run of results

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sparkes's last-minute winner v Harrogate for me. After that I knew lady luck was with us for once.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The three moments that stand out for me are

- Brown's goal against Scunthorpe (we'd improved defensively but hadn't won in ages and were struggling to break down an obdurate defence)
- Nombe's turn and pass to Brown away at Swindon (we hadn't scored for nearly 2 games and looked to be limping to a defeat which would have left us on the fringes of the play-offs)
- Dieng's goal against Newport (that was the moment when I thought we had more than just a chance of being in the mix for promotion)

manc grecian

Sparkes v Harrogate

I was confident for the first time that we'd do it when we beat Newport away.

Red Devon

Podge’s late winner at Carlisle, that was the moment when I felt this was really going to happen.

Pete Martin (CTID)

I would say our manager's fast expanding intelligence and knowledge of the game. He has been instrumental in at least four major ways;

(1) Recruitment last summer (remember the disappointment at the promised "marquee signings"?) ;)

(2) Not making the mistake that FGR did of relying on one player (in the main) to score their goals (Matty Stevens). We lost Nombe for 3 months(?) yet the rest of the squad stepped up to the plate brilliantly.

(3) Man management. The players seem to like and respect MT enormously.

(4) Engaging with the supporters. His interviews have been top notch, win or lose.

Without the above, none of the rest would have happened imo.

ExeterCraic

I would say our manager's fast expanding intelligence and knowledge of the game. He has been instrumental in at least four major ways;

(1) Recruitment last summer (remember the disappointment at the promised "marquee signings"?) ;)

(2) Not making the mistake that FGR did of relying on one player (in the main) to score their goals (Matty Stevens). We lost Nombe for 3 months(?) yet the rest of the squad stepped up to the plate brilliantly.

(3) Man management. The players seem to like and respect MT enormously.

(4) Engaging with the supporters. His interviews have been top notch, win or lose.

Without the above, none of the rest would have happened imo.
I agree, it's clear MT has tried to learn from his mistakes season after season, I also believe dedicating last season to the blooding of young players was crucial, he's said as much himself. One more thing I would add is the clear improvement in our attacking play from set pieces, can't recall any time in the last decade where we've scored so many goals from dead balls.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
First half at home to Bristol Rovers.

Spoonz Red E

The Harrogate game was special.
We'd twice been two goals down and clawed it back to 3 all.
Having conceded three goals we could have become protective and game managed it to a draw which would have been pleasing in itself.

The fact that we got the winner and the confidence Sparkes showed to place the shot was tremendous.
Four different players on the scoresheet.
Each of our last three goals 10 minutes apart - patience and application paid off.
The difference between a draw and a win then is the difference between the title and being runners up now.

Last edited:

STURTZ

For me it was Dawsons penalty save against Carlisle and a brilliant top corner save just after that.