• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Defining moments

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
All of the above are worthy turning points but playing 4 or 5 academy players most games who have grown up together and know how the club works has to be a bonus.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
All of the above are worthy turning points but playing 4 or 5 academy players most games who have grown up together and know how the club works has to be a bonus.
Agreed, but doesn't meet the test of "moments".

Leads

Mentioned this on another thread, but I think Crawley away was a big one. 1-0 down, they could have been awarded a pen but instead their player was booked for diving and sent off. We went onto win 3-1, it felt like the first win in ages after a load of draws (seems ages ago now). Wasn’t there but I also think the draws away at FGR and Port Vale were very important too.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Spanks has mentioned it but Sutton at home. We showed we could hang in there against a physically strong and direct side and then figure out what we needed to do and go on and win in the end quite comfortably. It was of those classic "we would have lost that game in the past" games which actually showed we did have the character and toughness to see off difficult moments and find a way to win points.

The addition of Stubbs into the back line amplified that and turned those draws into wins even without Nombe for the most part of the second half of the season.

continentalgrecian

Sparkes's last-minute winner v Harrogate for me. After that I knew lady luck was with us for once.
Quite, and what a goal it was. The composure, the poise, the skill, the execution.

Cowshed Grecian

About 50 Cam Dawson saves at multiple times this season I reckon.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
For me the most important thing we've done of late is stop switching between three or four at the back. So you could say recalling Diabate from Truro has enabled that.

And loaning Colin Daniel out to stop being tempted to play him.

Then all those moments others have already mentioned.

lamrobhero

I am an atheist, but before the Oldham player took the penalty I prayed ... then the nonchalant Jevani finish

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Deafening Moment was surely just after MJ stroked that winner in against Barrow.
(At least, it is so far)

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Harrogate game was special.
We'd twice been two goals down and clawed it back to 3 all.
Having conceded three goals we could have become protective and game managed it to a draw which would have been pleasing in itself.

The fact that we got the winner and the confidence Sparkes showed to place the shot was tremendous.
Four different players on the scoresheet.
Each of our last three goals 10 minutes apart - patience and application paid off.
The difference between a draw and a win then is the difference between the title and being runners up now.
I'd combine Mike's post with Pete's - because that Harrogate game also showed how much Taylor has developed in the area of making substitutions to change games - as yesterday showed all over again. Taking Cheik off after around half an hour was a bold, but correct, move - & Coley changed the whole dynamic of the game.

It's also been a season where nearly everyone who has been called on to step up in emergencies has come good - like Diabate & Rowe, to take just two examples. This speaks to the depth of the playing resources at the club, but also to the environment Taylor has created in the team, that enables players to flourish almost immediately.