• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Sam Stubbs (and Cheerio)

jimmy

One aspect that I don't think is mentioned that often is Stubbs' pedigree...not only coming from Everton's youth set-up but also his father's influence on him and connections.

We know that football loves to stick with what it knows and, more importantly, who it knows.

It won't be because of nepotism (Sam Stubbs is an outstanding centre back in his own right), I do however believe that his story and father's connections will help him go far up the footballing pyramid.

I just hope we see him be successful here for as long as possible...just like some of our other gems!

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stubbs is only 23. If he avoids major injuries he has +/- a dozen seasons to look forward to. He should be aiming for many of those to be at a much higher level than we can realistically take him.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stubbs is only 23. If he avoids major injuries he has +/- a dozen seasons to look forward to. He should be aiming for many of those to be at a much higher level than we can realistically take him.
True, but I'd like to think he could benefit from proving himself in league 1 for a season with us first. However, if Stubbs does leave that just creates the chance for Diabate to become first choice and Pond looks ready to be a back-up centre half next season.

JCWhoosh

I wonder what his value would be after such a strong season. Obviously we shouldn't sell if moving in to League 1 as we will need our best players. The selling value to goes up on each division too so hopefully can demand a higher fee if/when he does move on.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wonder what his value would be after such a strong season. Obviously we shouldn't sell if moving in to League 1 as we will need our best players. The selling value to goes up on each division too so hopefully can demand a higher fee if/when he does move on.
He turns 24 on the 20th November, so if his contract runs out next summer he could move on a free transfer. :unsure:

andrew p long

The key thing is what Stubbs best route upwards is. I fear/expect one thing for certain; his agent will advise him against extending his contract, which does indeed expire next summer, when he can leave for free.

If we get promoted an excellent route would be to stay one more season and prove himself at League One level. In summer 2023 the world would be his oyster.

If we don't go up this time it may be tempting for Stubbs to seek to leave now; having already more than proved himself at League Two level. This summer he couldn't leave without ECFC agreement which would involve a chunky fee. All is of course dependent on who comes in; but a fee exceeding 500k (plus add ons and sell on) would start to be difficult to resist for a player who can leave for free 12 months later.

STURTZ

A bidding war could push his value up to near the million I would have thought.

manc grecian

Nobody is paying a million quid for someone who's missed loads of football and will be available for nothing in 12 months.

He'll play a full season with us and then be able to name his price for a top league one club

Colesman Ballz

Nobody is paying a million quid for someone who's missed loads of football and will be available for nothing in 12 months.

He'll play a full season with us and then be able to name his price for a top league one club
Championship surely, given that he would then already be playing for a top League One club ? :cool:

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster

In all likelihood, I make you right, but I don’t think it’s entirely inconceivable Sam might sign a new contract.

As you say, he’ll be more marketable as a free agent. However, any recurrence of his injury and, with his contract coming to an end, he mightn’t be in a great place.

In addition, City have a reputation for not standing in the way of players having an opportunity to move onwards and upwards and, even if Stubbs were to sign a new contract, I’m not sure that would price him out of the range of the calibre of club one would imagine he’d be looking to move to.

Here’s hoping!