• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Sam Stubbs (and Cheerio)

Trapdoor

Last night was a taste of things to come with Diabete Stubbs and Hartridge forming a virtual brick wall in front of Dawson
That right there is the best backline in L2 and probably one of the best in L1 as well.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Keep them all fit and we won't go too far wrong next season in L1. Who knows perhaps we'll achieve back to back promotions like we did under Lord Cheesedale. If Ar*yle are having a good go it can't be that difficult

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
That right there is the best backline in L2 and probably one of the best in L1 as well.
The distribution of Sweeney and Hartridge is also good, which makes me think that combining them with Stubbs and Diabate in a back 4 with Key and Sparkes in proper midfield roles flanking Dieng and Collins with Brown and Nombe (when fit again) up front might work well in some circumstances. That would sideline Jay, but he has been our least effective player lately (and was again last night, IMO). Tough, but surely what's in the best interests of team team must take precedence?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure it's even the best backline at City. When I asked the question after the Oldham game most fans on here said they'd pick Sweeney over Diabate.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Someone has asked if Sam could be player of the season even though he hasn't been available all season but I say of course he can and in my view he is what was missing earlier in the season if you look at the results we have had since he played against Bristol Rovers in the Pizza Trophy on the 10th November. A rash challenge against Sutton and since then he has been imperious, even Alex Hartridge has said that whilst on the side-lines he would watch our backline and try to learn to improve to get back in the side and he has come back stronger.

Mind you this year the player of the year award seems wide open.

Last night was a taste of things to come with Diabete Stubbs and Hartridge forming a virtual brick wall in front of Dawson, hopefully we can extend his contract next season as it would be such a shame to lose a valuable asset for nothing if his contract ran out
Magnificent as Stubbs has undoubtedly been I'd argue that Diabate has been just as impressive and had just as much as impact since they came into the team together at Sutton. The pep talk that Matt Taylor had with the pair of them after they conceded an early soft goal must have been pretty special as they've barely conceded a goal since when they've been on the pitch together. They've also brought the best out in Sweeney, and now Hartridge as well.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Having to pick a back three from Sweeney, Diabetes, Stubbs and Hartridge, equates to that "old chestnut", of being a quality problem to be faced with ! :p

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Magnificent as Stubbs has undoubtedly been I'd argue that Diabate has been just as impressive and had just as much as impact since they came into the team together at Sutton. The pep talk that Matt Taylor had with the pair of them after they conceded an early soft goal must have been pretty special as they've barely conceded a goal since when they've been on the pitch together. They've also brought the best out in Sweeney, and now Hartridge as well.
Argue away, whereas Chieck's emergence has been impressive I don't think it would be anywhere near so impressive if it wasn't for Stubbs. Stubbs has now become the constant which other players are learning off, he is solid whoever he plays alongside and his positional sense is second to none. The only minor flaw is the lack of goals but they will come

Grecian2K

I took a long, long time but well worth the wait...

...but enough about the new scoreboard. Well done to Sam too.

Rosencrantz

Having to pick a back three from Sweeney, Diabetes, Stubbs and Hartridge, equates to that "old chestnut", of being a quality problem to be faced with ! :p
Alfie Pond is developing at a rate of knots and will also be competing for a spot before long, possibly as soon as next season.

fred binneys head

Cheick is quality, of course he is, but he is learning from Stubbs. Sam is playing his own game brilliantly but is also leading the back line and coaching Diabate and Alex through their games (as is Pierce). This is the first time for a long time that I’m massively confident before every game that we’ll keep a clean sheet, our defence is full of absolute units that can also play a bit, in front of a quality keeper.

And Sam is the best of them. Such a great signing by KMT, I’m delighted for him and for Sam.